This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Isabelle Guerin

Isabel also did some guest appearances with NYCB many years ago. She danced Other Dances with Damian Woetzel. Since then, I've seen it revived with various casts, including Ferri and Kent. To this day, I have never seen a performance of Other Dances that came close to the magic that Guerin and Damian brought to that ballet. She also did Balanchine's Swan Lake and Stravinsky Violin Concerto (Aria II), during her guest appearances.

She also danced Terpsichore in the Balanchine Celebration (1993) "Apollo" excerpts, which is on VHS/DVD.

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that she also danced Terpischore during the guest appearances I mentioned. I think Nilas Martins was Apollo.

Interesting connection: in the Suzanne Farrell "Elusive Muse" documentary, Isabelle Guerin is filmed during a rehearsal of Balanchine's "Mozartiana" (am I correct?) being coached by none other than Ms. Farrell herself. Farrell is very complimentary telling Guerin that she is going to steal some of her nuances.

Interesting connection: in the Suzanne Farrell "Elusive Muse" documentary, Isabelle Guerin is filmed during a rehearsal of Balanchine's "Mozartiana" (am I correct?) being coached by none other than Ms. Farrell herself. Farrell is very complimentary telling Guerin that she is going to steal some of her nuances.

It was Tzigane that Guerin was dancing. Jaffe did Mozartiana. It is an interesting connection. That's the special thing about ballet, the previous generation coaches the next.

In "Elusive Muse" I don't think it was Jaffe in "Mozartiana". I think it was a dancer I didn't know before, and that her first name was Christine and she spoke with what I thought was a French accent, which I only remember because her praise sounded so beautiful in that rich, accented voice.

Edited to add: I was completely wrong. Marie-Christine Mouls with the beautiful voice danced "Chaconne".