This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

""Swan" centers on a veteran ballerina (Portman) who finds herself locked in a competitive situation with a rival dancer, with the stakes and twists increasing as the dancers approach a big performance. But it's unclear whether the rival is a supernatural apparition or if the protagonist is simply having delusions.

Those who've read the script say it's a spine-tingler with elements of "The Others," the Nicole Kidman breakout in which viewers are left to discern what's real and what's imagined."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...f13cac7f05baa3b

I can't imagine they'll be able to film this without using doubles for at least a couple of scenes. And "delusions" could lend themselves to some good dance sequences.

It's supposed to be set in New York, so I wonder if they'll get City Ballet dancers as extras, the way they did for Center Stage.

Sounds like it could be, from a ballet perspective, really good or really bad.

""Swan" centers on a veteran ballerina (Portman) who finds herself locked in a competitive situation with a rival dancer, with the stakes and twists increasing as the dancers approach a big performance. But it's unclear whether the rival is a supernatural apparition or if the protagonist is simply having delusions.

Those who've read the script say it's a spine-tingler with elements of "The Others," the Nicole Kidman breakout in which viewers are left to discern what's real and what's imagined."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...f13cac7f05baa3b

I can't imagine they'll be able to film this without using doubles for at least a couple of scenes. And "delusions" could lend themselves to some good dance sequences.

It's supposed to be set in New York, so I wonder if they'll get City Ballet dancers as extras, the way they did for Center Stage.

Sounds like it could be, from a ballet perspective, really good or really bad.

Two things:

1. Darren Aronofsky is attached as the director.

2. The project was put into turnaround at Universal and has not yet been picked up by another studio. It's not yet a "done deal" though with these two big names attached (and with CAA selling it) it should most likely get picked up.

Other than that, it sounds like it's going to use the NYCB as a backdrop and not focus too much on it. I'd think it's more a Thriller that just happens to take place in NYC... with a charcter who happens to be a dancer.

-goro-

I'm a fan of Portman and she usually chooses her projects well, but she really doesn't look like a dancer.

Actually, GWTW, from the sound of the story as outlined in cinnamonswirl's link, it sounds as if she won't be doing much dancing, although she will be exerting herself in, ahem, other ways. I guess they must be looking to bring in the straight guys.

Reported in today's Times:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/...-on-ballerinas/

The filmmaker Darren Aronofsky is moving from the ring to the barre for his next project. Mr. Aronofsky, who directed “The Wrestler,” will focus on ballet dancers in “Black Swan,” described as a supernatural thriller that stars Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis as rival ballerinas. The film will be co-financed and distributed by Fox Searchlight, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

The indie division of 20th Century Fox, one of the few specialty houses left in the shifting movie business, also released “The Wrestler,” a critical favorite last year.

I am excited, I can't wait. This is the first mass market main stream movie about ballet for a very long time. (Since Turning Point & White Night?)

but really, i'm speechless...

:yucky::wallbash::):dunno::dry:

not at you, mussel!!!!! just at what i am afraid the movie will be like. at least the turning point had herbert ross, nora kaye, alexandra danilova, etc., etc.

I would be the last one to make judgements but seems to me the director of a ballet film should be someone who KNOWS ballet inside and out. Not just the experience of making a film about wrestling of all things. What kind of a background is that for directing ballet scenes? I suppose, like previous films about ballet, (apart of course from Red Shoes and Turning Point) the "ballerinas" will be actors who can dance, a little. But, on the other hand, we may be surprised!

It was reported a few days ago that Winona Ryder and Vincent Cassell have also been cast. Ryder is playing a dancer.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...415bc4fc270f23e

There was also an ad on Craigslist a few weeks ago that seems to indicate Benjamin Millepied is doing choreography for the movie.

I wonder if the reference to NYCB in the article is just an intuitive leap from "the world of New York ballet" or if City Ballet is actually associated with the film.

It was reported a few days ago that Winona Ryder and Vincent Cassell have also been cast. Ryder is playing a dancer.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...415bc4fc270f23e

There was also an ad on Craigslist a few weeks ago that seems to indicate Benjamin Millepied is doing choreography for the movie.

I wonder if the reference to NYCB in the article is just an intuitive leap from "the world of New York ballet" or if City Ballet is actually associated with the film.

cinnamonswirl, I have the impression that NYCB is associated in some way - perhaps it's the protagonist's home company?

But there's only so much ballet that you can work in to a film led by a cast of non-dancers.

"Black Swan" is about to make its debut in Venice.

"....the psychological thriller due to make its debut in late fall features Natalie Portman as a prima ballerina on the verge of a breakdown after winning the lead in 'Swan Lake.'"

Ballerina On the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown? It's an Almodovar waiting to happen.

Late fall is the beginning of Oscar season, so Natalie must be gunning for a nomination.

I just looked at a photo (on the website of the New York Post in the Entertainment section) of Natalie Portman in her tutu and makeup for Swan Lake. Her posture in the photo looks nothing like the posture of a ballet dancer, in my opinion.

According to Wikipedia, ABT's Sarah Lane was Portman's dance double for "Black Swan". Interesting choice...

From what I've seen of Lane's dancing, I imagined her as a potential Giselle or Lise rather than Odette/Odile.

I'm excited to see the film. And now I understand why I glimpsed Vincent Cassel near Lincoln Center a few times :lightbulb:

According to Wikipedia, ABT's Sarah Lane was Portman's dance double for "Black Swan". Interesting choice...

From what I've seen of Lane's dancing, I imagined her as a potential Giselle or Lise rather than Odette/Odile.

I tend to disagree, but you credit the production team to think that such subtleties would be important to them. I suspect they were more concerned with general body type and facial bone structure, a close look-alike who, with the help of soft focus, the right lighting and good makeup, would be virtually indistinguishable from the non-dancing star.

Lane is unlikely to be indistinguishable or anything like it, but at least we'll get to see some dancing, although the use of a double limits options when shooting the dance. So glad Michael Powell hired a ballerina to play a ballerina. Of course without Portman's participation this might not have gotten made.

Portman's squeeze, Whatshisname, apparently also has a speaking role in addition to his choreographic duties, so we'll see how that turns out, as well.