This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Leonardo DiCaprio is on top of Martin Scorsese's wish list to play Sinatra.

But Scorsese is insisting the actor does it HIS way — by mastering the Rat Pack legend’s famous tones.

A source confirmed: “Leo has hired a top vocal coach to get him sounding like Sinatra. He is a massive fan of the singer and has always wanted to play him. He would be sick to miss out on the leading role because his singing wasn’t up to scratch.

I don’t understand. There are so many gorgeous Sinatra recordings. Why sit through the movie and not hear any of them? Dub him, for heaven’s sake.

DiCaprio's too tall, though. Sinatra was on the short skinny side. It's important.

The dubbing (or not) business is always awkward, isn't it? Didn't someone besides Piaf dub Cotillard? I think Spacey sang the bobby Darin songs in 'Beyond the Sea' (I thought it sounded good, and that the movie was incredibly underrated, should go on our Underrated Thread, but I may have already put it.) I know Sissy Spacek did Loretta Lynn in Coal Miner's Daughter, which worked; can't remember if Jessica Lange did Patsy Cline or not. I'm trying to think of examples of any singer bio when the original voice was used. I'm sure there must be, but don't know enough of them. Doris Day marvelous as Ruth Etting in 'Love Me or Leave Me'; of course, we don't know what Etting sounded like though.

Lange lip synched to Patsy Cline's recordings in Sweet Dreams, and I thought it worked well, primarily because Lange threw herself physically into the 'singing' in a way lip synchers often don't do. Cotillard sang to Piaf's recordings, along with her own vocals and that of an additional singer, as I recall, so it was a sort of vocal gumbo.

Doris Day was a real singer and her audience would have expected to hear her voice, so it makes sense that she would not be dubbed with Etting or anyone else. It's a good movie, although Etting seems to have been softer vocally and personally than Day made her. I'm surprised there aren't recordings of Etting around somewhere.

Yes, Spacey sang very well in Beyond the Sea, I agree.

Jane Froman sang for Susan Hayward when Hayward played her in With a Song in My Heart, although Froman was still young enough that she could dub Hayward instead of using recordings.

Leonardo DiCaprio is on top of Martin Scorsese's wish list to play Sinatra.
But Scorsese is insisting the actor does it HIS way — by mastering the Rat Pack legend’s famous tones.

A source confirmed: “Leo has hired a top vocal coach to get him sounding like Sinatra. He is a massive fan of the singer and has always wanted to play him. He would be sick to miss out on the leading role because his singing wasn’t up to scratch.

I don’t understand. There are so many gorgeous Sinatra recordings. Why sit through the movie and not hear any of them? Dub him, for heaven’s sake.

DiCaprio's too tall, though. Sinatra was on the short skinny side. It's important.

I hope it's talking voice they are talking about. They have to use Sinatra recording for songs. Maybe I'm being silly but isn't it too soon for a Sinatra movie?

Hi, vipa. Sinatra has been gone a lot longer than Ray Charles and Johnny Cash, who've both had their biopics, so I guess we can't really say it's too soon.

It'll be Scorsese's second go round at casting Ava Gardner - Kate Beckinsale played her in The Aviator.

Jane Froman sang for Susan Hayward when Hayward played her in With a Song in My Heart, although Froman was still young enough that she could dub Hayward instead of using recordings.

That's cool, I didn't know that. I will definitely watch it again, because that sounds rare. I saw it only once as a teen on Saturday Night at the Movies.

It'll be Scorsese's second go round at casting Ava Gardner - Kate Beckinsale played her in The Aviator.

I wish he'd just use her again, I couldn't believe how effective she was--and I thought that was a lot harder to do than Kate Hepburn, because you've got all that mannered business to work with there (not that that's all that easy either, mind you.)

It's definitely DiCaprio, Scorsese says.

Leonardo DiCaprio is still to set to play Frank Sinatra for Martin Scorsese. But he’s probably not going to sing.

“With those records?” Scorsese asked me, his voice rising, at the premiere last night for his new DiCaprio collaboration, “Shutter Island.” “Frank will do the singing. But we’re waiting for a finished script.”

Angela Bassett lip-synched to Tina Turner's recordings in "What Love's Got to Do With It." Though she's a wonderful actress and spectacular as Turner, the lip synching is very awkward. Bassett just can't seem to get her miming to synch with Turner's vocal and it's actually quite distracting in the musical sequences.

I didn't find it quite that distracting, but it was certainly noticeable, I agree. A lot will depend on how well DiCaprio can do it - some very skilled actors can't get the hang of it, others do better. I have trouble seeing him as Sinatra for other reasons, though.