This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Lucky Plush/Smith/Wymore Disappearing Acts & YouTube

Lucky Plush Productions,Smith/Wymore Disappearing Acts (SF/Bay Area) and the mechanics of YouTube team up June 12-14 for unusual and exiting weekend of collaborative performances June 12-14. These performances are part of LPP’s “Pirate Yankees.” an intriguing and entertaining 10 month exploration of intellectual property.

In conjunction with “Punk Yankees,” Lucky Plush Productions has developed the website StealThisDance.com, a play on Abbie Hoffman's “Steal this Book.” The website features sections where visitors can “Steal,” “Buy,” or “Share” choreography. StealThisDance.com is intended to stimulate discussion and interaction around questions about intellectual property and the value of dance. StealThisDance.com is the outgrowth of initial research by Rhoads begun this past December, thanks to a choreographic fellowship from the Maggie Alessee National Center for Choreography (MANCC) to support the research and initial development of “Punk Yankees.”

Because I'm helping to get the word out on the project I've had the opportunity to preview early stages of the site's development and visit the site on more than one occasion. I think it deals with the concepts in an accessible, informative, entertaining way yet definitely provides much food for thought. We dancers learn to dance by imitation and endless repetition of someone else's moves. We expand our artistic pallet and inspiration by seeing performances. We pride ourselves on being able to painstakingly recreate classic works. So can any dance ever be called completely original? And is the YouTube a great opportunity or an enemy of intellectual property. I invite you to check out the site and look forward to your thoughts.