This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet's "Romeo and Juliet" on PBS

Thanks, Hans. Ours is the 21st.

From the Live from Lincoln Center website:

program / series description:

A New York City Ballet production of "Romeo and Juliet," featuring Peter Martins' choreography set to the classic Sergei Prokofiev score, about the tragic teen lovers (Sterling Hyltin, Robert Fairchild). From the Lincoln Center's David H. Koch Theater

Washington, DC area: May 17 - 3pm to 5:30 pm, on WETA and WETA-HD (no other DC-area PBS affiliates seem to be showing it live)

I got this, while searching all 3 DC-area schedules:

New York City Ballet's 'Romeo and Juliet'

A New York City Ballet production of "Romeo and Juliet," featuring Peter Martins' choreography set to the classic Sergei Prokofiev score, about the tragic teen lovers (Sterling Hyltin, Robert Fairchild). From the Lincoln Center's David H. Koch Theater.

next broadcast:

Sunday, May 17 — 03:00pm

0026 - WETA

* It will also be repeated at 3am, early Monday morning, on WETA.

EDITED TO ADD: If the PBS website is correct and the live telecast is happening on May 17 at 3pm, then this will be the cast, according to NYCB's own website:

SUNDAY MATINEE, MAY 17, 3 PM (Conductor: Karoui)

ROMEO + JULIET:

JULIET: Morgan, ROMEO: Suozzi,

TYBALT: Ramasar, MERCUTIO: Veyette, BENVOLIO: Laurent, JULIET’S NURSE: Abergel,

PARIS: Danchig-Waring, LADY CAPULET: Kistler, LORD CAPULET: Soto+,

FRIAR LAURENCE: J. Stafford, PRINCE OF VERONA: Evans

Hyltin/Fairchild are not dancing on the 17th, as per NYCB's own website...but they will dance 3 nights earlier. Perhaps they are being filmed and there will be no truly "live" show on the 17th? Odd, though, that a filmed program would begin at exactly 3pm -- the same time when a performance will begin at the State Theater.

I found the PBS site to be a bear but found a slot on WNET 13, which is the NYC metro area for 5/21/09 at 8PM

Details from the site:

Live from Lincoln Center

New York City Ballet's "Romeo + Juliet"

Live from Lincoln Center joins the New York City Ballet for Peter Martins' interpretation of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet.

Additional Airdates

Sat May 23rd at 1:30am on Thirteen

Sun May 24th at 12pm on Thirteen

Sun May 24th at 3pm on WLIW21

Philadelphia, PA area: WHYY Channel 12, New York City Ballet's 'Romeo and Juliet' on Sunday, May 24 at 03:00pm.

A New York City Ballet production of "Romeo and Juliet," featuring Peter Martins' choreography set to the classic Sergei Prokofiev score, about the tragic teen lovers (Sterling Hyltin, Robert Fairchild). From the Lincoln Center's David H. Koch Theater.

Natalia's post raises an issue that I hadn't heard about before: ARE there markets which are getting this as a "live" feed? I always assumed that the Lincoln Center stuff was, for the most part, taped and edited for showing later on. Is Live from Lincoln Center taking the simulcast route that has owrked so well for Met HD/Live?

Bart, are you possibly thinking of Great Performances instead of Live from Lincoln Center? The latter is --- at least usually -- broadcast live, and I think the name would be rather strange if it wasn't.

Bart, are you possibly thinking of Great Performances instead of Live from Lincoln Center? The latter is --- at least usually -- broadcast live, and I think the name would be rather strange if it wasn't.
You're right! I should have picked up that little detail, "Live." :D On the other hand, given the way this material is distributed nationally, many markets opt out of the "live" transmission and play the tape later on.

The Lincoln Center website says it will be shown live on May 21. Romeo + Juliet will be performed at NYCB that night with this cast:

THURSDAY EVENING, MAY 21, 8 PM (Conductor: Karoui)

ROMEO + JULIET:

JULIET: Hyltin, ROMEO: R. Fairchild, TYBALT: De Luz, MERCUTIO: Ulbricht, BENVOLIO: Carmena, JULIET’S NURSE: Pazcoguin, PARIS: Danchig-Waring, LADY CAPULET: Kistler, LORD CAPULET: Soto+, FRIAR LAURENCE: J. Stafford, PRINCE OF VERONA: Evans

I can only guess that the Washington D.C. times listed earlier on this thread is wrong.

I can only guess that the Washington D.C. times listed earlier on this thread is wrong.

This came straight from the WETA website...May 17 at 3pm. Perhaps that was an earlier plan and the station has not made the correction on its site?

Link to the May 17/18 showings announcement:

http://www.weta.org/tv/programsatoz/program/4181

p.s. What on earth is the "David H. Koch Theater" at Lincoln Center? I am assuming that "New York State Theater" is no more? Has the "Metropolitan Opera House" also been renamed for a big sponsor?

p.s. What on earth is the "David H. Koch Theater" at Lincoln Center? I am assuming that "New York State Theater" is no more? Has the "Metropolitan Opera House" also been renamed for a big sponsor?

NYST has been renamed after a very large contribution from a very rich donor

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=27627

A major renovation of the theater has been going on for months now.

The Met hasn't been renamed (yet) however parts of the interior have been. the main auditorium has been the "Sybil Harrington" auditorium and the Grand Tier WAS named (and then un-named when the money didn't show!) the Alberto Villar Grand Tier.

Thanks, richard. At least a name of a donor (Koch) is more dignified than the name of a corporation, as they do with sports arenas, i.e., it could have been renamed "The Verizon Theater." "What ballet is playing today at the Verizon Theater?" Yuk.

Washington, DC-area viewers need not worry that WETA's "promised" transmission yesterday and early this morning did not materialize (as we knew it would not). As Hans had pointed out earlier, it's Maryland Public Television (MPT) to the rescue, carrying it live at 8pm this coming Thursday, May 21, with one additional showing on its HD channel, on May 23 @ 7pm:

http://www.mpt.org/schedule/series.cfm?series_id=3263