This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tchai Pas variation with 10 different ballerinas

A couple of years ago, there was a wonderful youtube clip that showed hte woman's variation from Tchai Pas de Deux danced by many different dancers -- very clever cutting. They included Diana Vishneva and Lorna Feijoo. I've been looking for it but can't find it. Christian, have you seen it? Feijoo is probably the best of them ALL she's fabulous. Can you help me find it?

i didn't see the clip but the removal sounds right, once noted by the balanchine trust, such clips are taken down.

if it was based at all on the idea of the arrangement of the pas de deux on BALANCHINE: 1 & 2 (the PBS docu) you could see the older clips that make up that 'collage' on the tape or dvd version of the program.

the NYPL cat. lists the program's segment on the Pas de Deux as follows:

Pas de deux [1960] (4 min.): shows various casts doing same or sequential parts.

still none of this helps you looking for Feijoo or Vishneva.

Paul, I did notice the absence of the clip too. I often went back to look at it, just because I do think Lorna was absolutely divine on it-(and I do remember that even Patty McBride was in it too). Now it is gone for good, and it's really a shame. Lorna is one of those ballerinas that just makes you BELIEVE for real in ballet all over again, and there's just not enough surviving clips around that can ilustrate this.

:thumbsup: [Hello Everyone,

I also found the clips you mention, it came up with the Aurelie Dupont, Varna Competition item of the B.P.DD.

I am not very computer literate, but I do save things I like to my Favourites, and many of them remain. Only problem is I have a long list of favourites. At the same time as the Girls variation's there was also a clip of the Male ones as well. I have recently seen the AD BPDD,. still on the YouTubs video's on my favourites, somaybe the powers that be have missed this one!!! Could it work if it was attached to an email from for example my favourites ?. May be this is not possible. I am not sure how to post a clip to Ballet Talk. Sorry if this confuses you, but I am not a computer wizard by any stretch of the imagination!!

This discussion led me to wonder whether the recently-posted video of Farrell and Mofid in Robbins's Faun was still up: It isn't, apparently, so it's not only Balanchine. Maybe. Who knows, really? But that Tchai pas montage sounds very nice. Pity.

That's strange, because the party responsible for the Faun posting was VAI, which issued a DVD with that performance. One presumes that before it placed the video on the net, it had secured the rights from the Robbins Trust. Maybe it had, but for only a limited time? :thumbsup:

A couple of years ago, there was a wonderful youtube clip that showed hte woman's variation from Tchai Pas de Deux danced by many different dancers --

The clip was removed and the channel, with many Balanchine clips, was closed: "bloeedsinn" cannot say if she was warned before, because she was not checking regularly her e-mail box.

I met that girl in Paris (freind of a friend: it's a small world!!!) this winter and she survived well... :)

Among the others I remember Dupont, Semionova and Villa. There were two clips, with many dancers, at the end.

A couple of years ago, there was a wonderful youtube clip that showed hte woman's variation from Tchai Pas de Deux danced by many different dancers --

The clip was removed and the channel, with many Balanchine clips, was closed: "bloeedsinn" cannot say if she was warned before, because she was not checking regularly her e-mail box.

I met that girl in Paris (freind of a friend: it's a small world!!!) this winter and she survived well... :thumbsup:

Among the others I remember Dupont, Semionova and Villa. There were two clips, with many dancers, at the end.

Annamicro, we are all in YOUR debt. Thanks for all you put up.

I can't tell you how grateful I am -- I hang out on youtube like I did as a kid at the library, seeing things I'd never HOPED to see....

This is seeming to me like a couple of braided threads, but it turns out the "full-length" Faun with Farrell and Mofid is still up, just not on YouTube. It is posted with the claim that the Robbins Rights Trust has given permission for the posting. I found it by using a well-known search engine's "Video" option.

(At one of the video's locations, there are some links to a fragment of a more recent performance, with true color but appallingly vacant dancing, like just going through the motions of something not fully comprehended, in contrast to the earlier one.)

Agreed, Paul, YouTube is a favorite of mine in cyberspace, too, as with a zillion others, for almost as many reasons, as far as I can tell. The trouble comes with finding stuff: Enter "ballet" in the search box, and you get ten thousand hits, most unrelated to what we are interested in (or addicted to), because the poster has seen fit to add that word to the "tags" for the page. This practice seems perversely misleading, and makes me wonder whether there's some animus against people like us.

By memory, I remember in the clip:

Alexandrova

Cojocaru

Feijoo

McBride

Vishneva

who else...? :dunno:

I was so thrilled to find this that I jotted down the names. In order, they were (alas, that past tense) as follows:

Alexandrova

Bussell

Dupont

McBride

Obratsova

Seminova

Venus Villa (English National Ballet; there is presently a YouTube clip of her rehearsing TchaiPas)

Vishneva

Irina Zavilova (Peter Schaufuss Ballet)

Alexandrova

Bussell

Dupont

McBride

Obratsova

Seminova

Venus Villa (English National Ballet; there is presently a YouTube clip of her rehearsing TchaiPas)

Vishneva

...AND Feijoo...

(and I did made a mistake mentioning Cojocaru, who wasn't part of the thing...)

Alexandrova

Bussell

Dupont

McBride

Obratsova

Seminova

Vishneva

...AND Feijoo...

(and I did made a mistake mentioning Cojocaru, who wasn't part of the thing...)

Yes, indeed Feijoo. Thanks. How did I leave her out? Are you sure Cojocaru wasn't shown as well? My list has also an arrow showing Cojocaru between Bussell and Dupont. It was off to the side, and I somehow omitted that in my haste as well. I'm thinking were more than ten dancers, at least at one time.

I actually thought that I remembered Cojocaru-(a very young one, BTW, dancing to a piano-reduction of the score)-but when I saw your list, and failed to see her, I thought that Alzheimer was progressing and it was all part of my imagination. So now maybe I was right at first, and she was indeed part of the clip...

Thanks!!

I actually thought that I remembered Cojocaru-(a very young one, BTW, dancing to a piano-reduction of the score)-but when I saw your list, and failed to see her, I thought that Alzheimer was progressing and it was all part of my imagination. So now maybe I was right at first, and she was indeed part of the clip...

Thanks!!

The 10 different ballerinas for me could never efface the memory of Violette Verdy and Edward Villela in this pas de deux seen live in London. For youtube fans, does a film of their performance exist?

It appears there is no film of Verdy and Villella's performance on Youtube, presumably because of the same copyright issues.

I don't resent the copyright issues which has in itself become legendary, as I can still see the joyous performance in my minds eye.

Leonid, how I envy you seeing them live! I'm sure I'd remember that forever.

But if you ever make it to New York City, I THINK I remember seeing at the dance collection of the NYC Public Library a tape of Villella and Verdy performing Tchai Pas which is quite an amazing thing to behold.... Where did I See it? Verdy did some amazing things that nobody else does any more -- for example, she did a series of 8 releves, turning an eighth on each, doing ronde de jambes en l'air on every one -- and a glorious series of attitude turns, and every time her face came back int oview it was like the sun coming out..

Kyra Nichols did the same ronde de jambes en l'air in her Sugar Plum Fairy variation instead of the en de dedans turns....

Wonderful!

It appears there is no film of Verdy and Villella's performance on Youtube, presumably because of the same copyright issues.

I don't resent the copyright issues which has in itself become legendary, as I can still see the joyous performance in my minds eye.