This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alina Cojocaru

Interesting article. I'm a big fan of Cojocaru and her ability to create a world on stage. I was a bit surprise to see a piece on her in the NYTimes, since no plans to perform in the USA were mentioned.

Yes, a very interesting article..thanks @abatt for posting. 

5 hours ago, vipa said:

Interesting article. I'm a big fan of Cojocaru and her ability to create a world on stage. I was a bit surprise to see a piece on her in the NYTimes, since no plans to perform in the USA were mentioned.

Perhaps Cojocaru and those around her are hoping to interest a New York producer?

I was pleased by her commitment to ballet too, though the bits of Natalia Horecna's  choreography available on youtube suggest a more contemporary/eclectic choreographer than a genuinely classical or even neoclassical one.  Still I would be very happy if I had a chance to see this--or a chance to see Cojocaru do pretty much anything.

On 1/13/2024 at 10:53 PM, Drew said:

Yes, a very interesting article..thanks @abatt for posting. 

Perhaps Cojocaru and those around her are hoping to interest a New York producer?

I was pleased by her commitment to ballet too, though the bits of Natalia Horecna's  choreography available on youtube suggest a more contemporary/eclectic choreographer than a genuinely classical or even neoclassical one.  Still I would be very happy if I had a chance to see this--or a chance to see Cojocaru do pretty much anything.

In my mind she was perhaps the de facto star of the Mariinsky Ballet Festival, quite a feat, for at least several years. I’ve somewhat lost touch with what she’s doing. I do remember sitting next to her on the plane to my second Festival and she was quite lovely. Clement Crisp, by the way, was also on that flight, and gave her a friendly inquiry. Besides being an excellent ballet dancer she has an interest and a fine grasp of the broader range of the theatrical arts. Like Drew, I’d like to see most anything that she might do. One important element in the diversification of such stars as her, Olga Smirnova, Natalia Osipova, etc. is the quality of the material that they choose or are given. She’s an extremely talented artist and I wish her the best.

18 hours ago, Buddy said:

Besides being an excellent ballet dancer she has an interest and a fine grasp of the broader range of the theatrical arts. Like Drew, I’d like to see most anything that she might do. One important element in the diversification of such stars as her, Olga Smirnova, Natalia Osipova, etc. is the quality of the material that they choose or are given. She’s an extremely talented artist and I wish her the best.

A favorite memory from about 10 years ago with ABT at the Met: a "double-header" on a Saturday with Cojocaru at the matinee and Osipova in the evening in the pre-Ratmansky Sleeping Beauty. Such a treat!

I saw Cojocaru again last January in London in the United Ukrainian Ballet's Giselle. Her technique has declined, but not her artistry. I hope she can bring her new work to North America.