This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I have seen two times a version of Giselle where the 'Dance of the Willis' during the scene 'Myrtha and the Willis' in Act II is one girl at a time beginning at the back of the stage, on one leg and continuing until all girls are on stage. It takes about 10 minutes and it is spectacular. It is similar to the entrance in 'the Kingdom of the Shades' in La Bayadere, but with the dancers on one leg for the entire time. I saw it the first time in 1968 or 1969 when the Bolshoi came to the United States. I never saw it again (until the late 1990's) and so I thought it was a special feature for this particular tour. I saw it again when Baryshnikov was choreographer for the American Ballet Theater in the late 1990's. I foolishly thought this would be part of all ABT's performances of Giselle. They do not do this entrance any longer. Now it is always done in groups of 3 or 6. I am looking for a DVD or VHS of Giselle with this entrance. I don't care about the principal dancers. I have many copies of Giselle. I only want a copy with this entrance. There are many, many versions of Giselle on the market, but there is no way of knowing whether this 'entrance' is in them. the ABT does not have any information on this. Does anyone know what version of Giselle has this entrance and where I can get a copy? Thanks.

Toni

Hello...I know you are very familiar with Giselle because you have many copies of the ballet. It's strange, but you describe the opening of the "Kingdom of the Shades" scene in La Bayadere. Could you possibly be confusing the two ballets? Just a thought...P.S. Go to You Tube and search for La Bayadere Kingdom of the Shades Paris Opera Ballet. Here is a beautiful example of the entrance you might be speaking of...

Hello...I know you are very familiar with Giselle because you have many copies of the ballet. It's strange, but you describe the opening of the "Kingdom of the Shades" scene in La Bayadere. Could you possibly be confusing the two ballets? Just a thought...P.S. Go to You Tube and search for La Bayadere Kingdom of the Shades Paris Opera Ballet. Here is a beautiful example of the entrance you might be speaking of...

Thank you for your response. The entrance is very similar. However, if you can imagine the entrance in the 'kingdom of the shades' using the step from Giselle where the 'glide' on one foot rather than walk, it is breath taking.

Hello...You edited your original post which makes my response appear sort of pointless. I hope someone else will be able to help you find your information. Good luck in finding the version of Giselle you are seeking...

I've seen many versions of Giselle, both live and recorded, and I've never heard of this part of La Bayadere being used. On the other hand, Versions of La Bayadere vary a little, so it would be worth your while to take a look at a few, as Gina suggests.

Hello...You edited your original post which makes my response appear sort of pointless. I hope someone else will be able to help you find your information. Good luck in finding the version of Giselle you are seeking...

I edited my original based on your response so people would have a better idea of what I'm talking about. My husband saw this version of Giselle with me, so I know I have the correct ballet. I thank you for your assistance.

have you checked the movie DANCERS?

it wouldn't likely show the full dance you're looking for, but you'd be seeing Baryshnikov's production of GISELLE (which he based on the Kirov staging of that time)?

The ABT version on video w/ Makarova and Baryshnikov is the Blair production.

Nowadays ABT does McKenzie's version.

Have you checked to see if Kirov versions of this ballet on video include the staging of this scene for what you are looking for? (there is one led by Mesentseva and Zaklinsky on the market, or at least there was.)

here are credits from the NYPL dance collection:

Dancers (Videotape) 1987. 99 min.

Motion picture released in 1987 by Cannon Films Inc. and Cannon International; reissued as a videotape in 1988 by Warner Home Video, Burbank, Calif. Director: Herbert Ross. Producers: Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus. Produced in association with Hera/Baryshnikov Productions. Cinematographer: Ennio Guarnieri.

Ballet sequences staged by Mikhail Baryshnikov after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot, and Marius Petipa. Original music: Pino Donaggio; mus for Giselle: Adolphe Adam. Written by Sarah Kernochan. Production designer: Gianni Quaranta. Ballet costumes: Anna Anni, Enrico Serafina; contemporary clothes: Adriana Spadaro.

Cast: Mikhail Baryshnikov (Tony), Alessandra Ferri (Francesca), Leslie Browne (Nadine), Thomas Rall (Patrick), Lynn Seymour (Muriel), Victor Barbee (Wade), Julie Kent (Lisa), Mariangela Melato (Contessa); cast of Giselle includes Desmond Kelly (Duke of Courland), Chrisa Keramidas (Bathilde), Amanda McKerrow (Moyna), Bonnie Moore (Zulma), and members of American Ballet Theatre. London Symphony Orchestra; Giselle conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas.

SUMMARY: Mikhail Baryshnikov stars as Tony Sergeyev, a renowned dancer/choreographer facing career burnout. A young ballerina joins the troupe and inspires a romance that mirrors the tragic story of Giselle, the ballet the company is rehearsing. Includes numerous scenes from Giselle, in rehearsal and performance.

have you checked the movie DANCERS?

it wouldn't likely show the full dance you're looking for, but you'd be seeing Baryshnikov's production of GISELLE (which he based on the Kirov staging of that time)?

The ABT version on video w/ Makarova and Baryshnikov is the Blair production.

Nowadays ABT does McKenzie's version.

Have you checked to see if Kirov versions of this ballet on video include the staging of this scene for what you are looking for? (there is one led by Mesentseva and Zaklinsky on the market, or at least there was.)

here are credits from the NYPL dance collection:

Dancers (Videotape) 1987. 99 min.

Motion picture released in 1987 by Cannon Films Inc. and Cannon International; reissued as a videotape in 1988 by Warner Home Video, Burbank, Calif. Director: Herbert Ross. Producers: Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus. Produced in association with Hera/Baryshnikov Productions. Cinematographer: Ennio Guarnieri.

Ballet sequences staged by Mikhail Baryshnikov after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot, and Marius Petipa. Original music: Pino Donaggio; mus for Giselle: Adolphe Adam. Written by Sarah Kernochan. Production designer: Gianni Quaranta. Ballet costumes: Anna Anni, Enrico Serafina; contemporary clothes: Adriana Spadaro.

Cast: Mikhail Baryshnikov (Tony), Alessandra Ferri (Francesca), Leslie Browne (Nadine), Thomas Rall (Patrick), Lynn Seymour (Muriel), Victor Barbee (Wade), Julie Kent (Lisa), Mariangela Melato (Contessa); cast of Giselle includes Desmond Kelly (Duke of Courland), Chrisa Keramidas (Bathilde), Amanda McKerrow (Moyna), Bonnie Moore (Zulma), and members of American Ballet Theatre. London Symphony Orchestra; Giselle conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas.

SUMMARY: Mikhail Baryshnikov stars as Tony Sergeyev, a renowned dancer/choreographer facing career burnout. A young ballerina joins the troupe and inspires a romance that mirrors the tragic story of Giselle, the ballet the company is rehearsing. Includes numerous scenes from Giselle, in rehearsal and performance.

Thanks. I will check this out. Tonishop

For some reason I keep thinking that you are referring to the Willis sequence of traveling sautees in arabesque derrière toward the end of the ballet...(several horizontal lines of dancers on each side of the stage hopping to the other side, crossing the opposite advancing group...?)

Just a thought...