This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fistoulari's Giselle, 1961.

I just listened to my newest Giselle adquisition: The Two LP set of the complete Ballet by the London Symphony Orchestra under Anatole Fistoulari, ca.1961. I love it, and I'm on my way to get me Zuraitis/Bolshoi Orchestra, just to listen to the whole Minkus Act I PDD :)

Fistoulari's Giselle is one of the best I've heard on disc. It also appeared on a Mercury double CD a while ago.

Try to find his Swan Lake with the LSO. It's well worth the investment as well.

The Fistoulari is indeed very good. It's the version I learned the score from. There's a bit of heaviness in the orchestration, especially in Giselle's Act I variation, but on the whole, it's great.

You're going to have fun with the Zuraitis. Outside of the interpolations, it uses the oldest version of the score I've ever heard recorded, with the Fugue of the Wilis, an additional man-trapping by the same, and the extended, probably original, ending, which will make much more dramatic good sense when you hear it.

The Fistoulari is indeed very good. It's the version I learned the score from. There's a bit of heaviness in the orchestration, especially in Giselle's Act I variation, but on the whole, it's great.

You're going to have fun with the Zuraitis. Outside of the interpolations, it uses the oldest version of the score I've ever heard recorded, with the Fugue of the Wilis, an additional man-trapping by the same, and the extended, probably original, ending, which will make much more dramatic good sense when you hear it.

I also admire both these recordings but I lean to the reality of the Zhuraitis recordings as I heard him conduct Giselle in the theatre on a good number of occasions and he was as distinguished off stage as he was on the podium.

is Zhuratis on CD in this full-text version?

i think there is a newer recording w/ him w/ less of the 'old text' included?

or maybe i'm misremembering.

i know only of the full/old Zhruatis on LP.