This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Principal Dancer Chan Han Goh, National Ballet of Canada, to retire

Marga

Canada's classical radio station, 96.3 FM, has been announcing all day that Chan Han Goh will be retiring in June.

Chan Han Goh has also danced with The Suzanne Farrell Ballet. She was born in Beijing, leaving at the age of eight. Both her parents had been principal dancers with the National Ballet of China. She studied at her parents's ballet school in British Columbia, the Goh Ballet Academy. Joining the National Ballet in 1988, she became second soloist two years later, first soloist two years after that and principal dancer two years after that, in 1994. She is also an entrepreneur with her own dance supply company, "Principal", and has co-written her autobiography, Beyond the Dance: A Ballerina's Life (2002).

There is a recorded message at the end of the news item, with Chan Han Goh speaking briefly about her career. She has high praise for Karen Kain, whom she said has always been encouraging to young dancers even when she was still dancing herself, and as for herself says she "will always be connected with the arts".

Those of you in Canada will be able to hear this announcement at every newsbreak today (I assume) since it has been so since earlier today.

Here is a link to her website:

Chan Han Goh

I'm sorry to read this. I saw Goh dance every season she appeared with the Suzanne Farrell Ballet and admired her dancing very much. But she seemed to be dancing less and less the past few years, so this is not unexpected.

A side note that might amuse some. I had my 9th and 10th grade students read Goh's autobiography, thinking it a good guide to what backstage life is really like. They liked it, and her, but were VERY disappointed about one thing. "She's not on youtube! There's not even ONE clip!!!" I hope this situation will soon be rectified :wink:

Thanks for posting that, Marga. The press release is also up now on the NBoC website. She will be truly missed. Not only is she an incredibly expressive dancer, but she is also lovely in person (from the few times I have met her, including taking one of her master classes years ago). I hope I get to see her Juliet and Giselle this season before she retires.