This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Graeme Murphy's Swan Lake

I think so far only the Australian Ballet have it in their rep. They brought it to London on tour & it got some great reviews & looked fabulous on the massive coliseum stage as the designs gave it a very distinct look from any other production & the dramatic rethink was quite effective. I was a bit disappointed that on their recent tour to London with Les Presages that they didn't bring Swan Lake back for a second look.

They didn't bring it back because that tour was with the indigenous Australian company Bangarra Dance Theatre, and so it was a double bill: Australian Ballet in Les Presages and Bangarra in Rites.

The Murphy Swan Lake has just had 3 performances in Tokyo, followed this weekend by the Murphy Nutcracker. I'd be interested in a Japanese reaction to these.

Also, there is now a DVD of the Murphy Swan Lake: Australian Ballet Shop - sadly the photos on the jacket are of Adam Bull and Amber Scott, not the dancers performing (Robert Curran and Madeleine Eastoe).