This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Just returned from watching Opera Lafayette perform 'Le Déserteur', a baroque opéra comique, at the Kennedy Center. It was performed mostly concert style, with the singers performing their arias in French and acting as necessary to complement the theatrical narration, in English. The performance also included a dancer from the New York Baroque Dance company who was very charming. There was a lot of beautiful singing, particularly from the men, and the orchestra was delightful. An extremely pleasant (and too short) evening. :dunno:

Yes, the dancer was onstage nearly the entire time, providing both mime and dancing. I don't think every step was historically accurate--a pirouette in attitude derrière at nearly 90º presumably would not have been performed by someone wearing the long skirts of the period (she was costumed in a calf-length skirt) but the way she used her upper body was very beautiful. A review in the Washington Post called her inclusion superfluous, but I disagree; the singers did very little besides stand there, so the dancing was welcome. Trust an opera critic to call the dancing superfluous. :wink:

Yes, the dancer was onstage nearly the entire time, providing both mime and dancing. I don't think every step was historically accurate--a pirouette in attitude derrière at nearly 90º presumably would not have been performed by someone wearing the long skirts of the period (she was costumed in a calf-length skirt) but the way she used her upper body was very beautiful. A review in the Washington Post called her inclusion superfluous, but I disagree; the singers did very little besides stand there, so the dancing was welcome. Trust an opera critic to call the dancing superfluous. :)

Thanks for the description, Hans.