This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PBS to broadcast Metropolitan Opera performances again

Good news!

Monday, December 29: The Season 3 premiere features a production of the John Adams opera "Doctor Atomic," about physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer (Gerald Finley) and the testing of the first atomic bomb in 1945 New Mexico. Kitty Oppenheimer: Sasha Cooke.

I hope opera fans here are also enjoying tonight's Independent Lens feature on the making of this opera.

Unfortunately, that documentary ("Wonders are Many") does not seem to be showing on PBS here in Seattle. Our PBS station may have a lot of money problems because it seems they are doing little but "encore" broadcasts.

Yes, they do seem to be quite frugal in their scheduling, don't they? If I see that Roy Orbison special one more time, I'm going to reconsider my membership fees.

Unfortunately, that documentary ("Wonders are Many") does not seem to be showing on PBS here in Seattle. Our PBS station may have a lot of money problems because it seems they are doing little but "encore" broadcasts.

Yes, they do seem to be quite frugal in their scheduling, don't they? If I see that Roy Orbison special one more time, I'm going to reconsider my membership fees.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of enthusiasm for Dr. Atomic among some PBS affiliates. KCTS Seattle will delay its airing until January 25, and my other PBS affiliate, WGBH Boston, is burying it with a middle-of-the-night showing on its second channel (which I don't receive). I don't know how widespread this tendency is.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of enthusiasm for Dr. Atomic among some PBS affiliates. KCTS Seattle will delay its airing until January 25, and my other PBS affiliate, WGBH Boston, is burying it with a middle-of-the-night showing on its second channel (which I don't receive). I don't know how widespread this tendency is.

Wonder of wonders then that we're getting it here in central Virginia in prime time as scheduled.