This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I've Loved You So Long/Il y a longtemps que je t'aime

A couple of nights ago i went to see this French movie, curious about some praising that it has gotten already. The film, which was directed by Phillipe Claudell and stars Kristin Scott Thomas, opens with the reunion of two sisters who haven't seen each other in 15 years. The opening credit sequence goes back and forth between Juliette (Thomas), sitting alone at a table in an airport, looking lost and desolate , and younger sister Lea (Elsa Zylberstein), coming to pick Juliette up,in a nervous mood. Without a single word of dialog to tell us as to what's wrong with Juliette, we know this much: this is a woman who has suffered some horrific trauma; she is lost to herself, locked away, not there... Then the whole story starts. I strongly encourage my fellow BT'rs to go and try to catch this little French piece. It deals with judgment, compassion and also the right to die...

Kristen Scott Thomas gave a superb performance in this movie, but I found it disappointing overall. There is a secret in the movie, but it was predictable enough that I figured it out about halfway through, and I never figure these things out unless I'm watching a Lifetime movie, which this resembled more than a bit. (Example:the contrast between the sister's husband and Thomas' character's love interest.) I expect a little more distance in French movies.