This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

One thing that impresses me about her is how she has managed to stay current in the face of changing tastes and trends. For someone who Newsweek famously proclaimed would disappear at the end of the 1980s, she has managed to adapt her music to different trends in popular music which have come and gone over the last 20 years (house, the Atlanta "sound", Broadway, techno, ABBA, Justin Timberlake) without losing her core "sound". She reminds me somewhat of the Rolling Stones -- they absorbed all kinds of stylistic influences (psychedelia, glam, funk, reggae, disco, New Wave) into their core, blues-based sound during the 60s, 70s and 80s before inspiration flagged and they became more of a touring phenomenon than a recording one.

With the completion of Madonna's final show in Sao Paulo Brazil-one of her eleven record-breaking performances in South America-Madge's' 'Sticky & Sweet' Tour broke her own "Confessions on a Dance Floor" previous record and now reigns supreme by becoming the Number One Largest Grossing Tour in history by a solo artist, male or female, which has been confirmed by Live Nation, the tour's international producer. Her 58 shows in Europe, the US, Canada, Mexico and South America 2008 played for a staggering 2,350,282 million fans and sold over $280 millions in tickets. You go, girl...! :wink:

One thing that impresses me about her is how she has managed to stay current in the face of changing tastes and trends.

Absolutely. I'm not a big concert person, but do track the action, and she's been working consistently while so many other artists have arrived and faded away.

I like to think it's the early dance training...

I like to think it's the early dance training...

80% of her concerts weight goes to the dancing. She goes up there and dances non stopping for two hours, while singing at the same time, but the dancing goes as a number one priority. Her dancers and dancing routines are very elaborate. One of the bonuses of her previous DVD was the casting process of the dancers. Thousand applicants from around the world go, and Madge herself seats with them one by one to hand pick them. They have to be able to do everything, from break dance to classic ballet.

Here's a sequence of her son "Rain" from her "Girlie Show Tour", with some pointe work dancing at the end of the clip.

One thing that impresses me about her is how she has managed to stay current in the face of changing tastes and trends. For someone who Newsweek famously proclaimed would disappear at the end of the 1980s, she has managed to adapt her music to different trends in popular music which have come and gone over the last 20 years (house, the Atlanta "sound", Broadway, techno, ABBA, Justin Timberlake) without losing her core "sound". She reminds me somewhat of the Rolling Stones -- they absorbed all kinds of stylistic influences (psychedelia, glam, funk, reggae, disco, New Wave) into their core, blues-based sound during the 60s, 70s and 80s before inspiration flagged and they became more of a touring phenomenon than a recording one.

Good points.

And now she's extending the tour...

Cubanmiamiboy it seems we have a lot in common. I'm a big Madonna fan--and I made the trek with some friends to San Fransisco (well San Jose, technically) for her Confessions tour. I thought it was close to flawless. I was impressed with the theming, the design, how much she freaking danced... It probably helps that I'm a big disco fan, and loved that album that it focused on.

In comparison, Sticky and Sweet left me... kinda cold. The plus for me was I didn't have to travel since she finally decided to come to Vancouver. But the tickets were significantly MORE expensive than the already really highly priced tickets of her previous tour (Madonna has complained that not enough young fans come to her shows--I think she doesn't realize quite how hard it is for anyone but the rich and the die hards to afford to see her--my girl Kylie Minogue puts on as elaborate shows with tickets at half the price, for example).

I also felt that the theming and production itself was a bit uninspired-- For anyone else it would have been an amazing concert but Madonna and her main director, Jamie King didn't pull off anything too surprising to me and the segments felt scattered. I also wished Madonna had danced *more*--I saw her mid tour and to me she felt like she wasn't lett go and as into the movement as she was only three years before (and the costumes, don't get me started).

Now, I have a few caveats I admit--I was not too into this last album, Hard Candy, that the tour supported. That said, I prefered many of the songs live. And despite sounding grumpy I DID have a great time and loved many moments. It's just hard not to compare, for me, unfavourably with past tours. I think she should work with someone else besides Jamie King next time around (now that he works with everyone from Celine to Ricky Martin he's probably spread too thin anyway)