This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Recordings from the 1890s to be released

Should be worth listening to at least once:

They also include the legendary pianist Josef Hofmann in his first known recordings and singers who performed in the premieres of operas by Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-Korsakov. Some 22 of the artists, well known in their day, have not been represented on recordings until now, including Taneyev.

With each cylinder able to record for only two to four minutes, the release will be limited to snippets: 90 of music and 4 with just spoken words. Those include Tolstoy reading from his work and what may be the voice and whistling of Tchaikovsky. The musical recordings in the release run from 1890 to 1923.

Should be worth listening to at least once:
They also include the legendary pianist Josef Hofmann in his first known recordings and singers who performed in the premieres of operas by Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-Korsakov. Some 22 of the artists, well known in their day, have not been represented on recordings until now, including Taneyev.

With each cylinder able to record for only two to four minutes, the release will be limited to snippets: 90 of music and 4 with just spoken words. Those include Tolstoy reading from his work and what may be the voice and whistling of Tchaikovsky. The musical recordings in the release run from 1890 to 1923.

I have a curious streak for this kind of historical material, however difficult it is to listen to, or more accurately, listen around the noise. At least the recordings are in the very capable hands of Ward Marston. If anyone can extract the gold from the dross, he can.

Richard (Maplesons-R-Us)

Should be worth listening to at least once

Definitely, and they'll sound much like recordings of that period I recently got hold of with Mary Garden accompanied by Debussy (I didn't know his recorded playing existed, or had forgotten), plus the earliest Caruso recordings, which I'd never heard. The latter were sometimes absolutely great, and it didn't matter at all about the tinny quality.