This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sara Mearns & Jared Angle to dance Swan Lake in Rome

bart

While trying to locate Opera di Roma performances for next spring, I accidentally came across a listing for Swan Lake this coming October, with Sara Mearns and Jared Angle as one of two alternate sets of leads. (Choreography: Galina Samsova after Petipa and Ivanov.)

http://en.operaroma.it/stagione/cartellone..._lago_dei_cigni

First Bouder in Giselle. And now this. Is the Rome Opera Ballet becoming a regular out-of-town stop for NYCB principals wishing to extend themselves in the classics?

First Bouder in Giselle. And now this. Is the Rome Opera Ballet becoming a regular out-of-town stop for NYCB principals wishing to extend themselves in the classics?
And JAngle in both! I wonder if he's considering renting a flat there!

Ashley also did a Beauty in '07. I don't know who was her Prince Desire.

Thanks, drb. It's a relatively small stage, so I really like the spare and minimalist look for the lakeside scene.

On the other hand, there's a monumentality to the closeups of Mearns and Angle -- neither of whom I've ever seen dance -- that reminds me a little of Mussolini era sculpture. For those who know these dancers, do the photos give an accurate idea of the visual impression they make on stage?