This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Winter 2009 Repertory Season

For those interested, there is a press release on NYCB's website containing additional info. re the upcoming Winter Rep. season. Highlights include the return of Balanchine's one act Swan Lake (yeah!), Coppelia (wouldn't Bouder and Fairchild be great in that!), Chaconne.

This looks interesting:

School of American Ballet 75th Anniversary Tribute

The 2009 winter season will also feature a special one-time-only program on Wednesday, February 14, celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the School of American Ballet. The program will consist of George Balanchine’s Serenade, The Four Temperaments and Vienna Waltzes. The evening will also feature a number of guest artists who trained at SAB and now dance with various ballet companies throughout the world.

Founded by George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, the School of American Ballet, now located in the Rose Building at Lincoln Center, opened its doors on January 2, 1934, at 637 Madison Avenue in New York City. The official school of New York City Ballet, SAB is considered one of the world’s most prestigious ballet academies.

In addition to the tribute performance, during the winter season an exhibit chronicling the relationship between SAB and NYCB will be on display throughout the public areas of the theater.

On more than one occasion in the past, SAB students have danced all or part of Serenade at NYCB galas. That was when I first saw Jenifer Ringer as the Waltz Girl and was knocked for a loop.

Seeing the younger dancers on the company's stage can't help but have a special, poignant resonance, since that first student Serenade is the seminal shoot from which today's NYCB (plus the whole Balanchine diaspora) has grown. We see the past, present and future collide, in a way.

That was when I first saw Jenifer Ringer as the Waltz Girl and was knocked for a loop.

I saw J. Ringer do the Waltz Girl in Serenade a few years ago, and I thought she was terrific. Unfortunately, NYCB has not cast her in that role in recent years. I've repeatedly seen Darci, and before her, Kyra. Let's hope J. Ringer returns to this role this season!

The 2009 winter season will also feature a special one-time-only program on Wednesday, February 14, celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the School of American Ballet. The program will consist of George Balanchine’s Serenade, The Four Temperaments and Vienna Waltzes. The evening will also feature a number of guest artists who trained at SAB and now dance with various ballet companies throughout the world.

This will be so interesting! I wonder what companies they will be drawing these guest dancers from?

Beware. NYCB's press release was apparently not proofread, and contained the incorrect date for the Special One Time Only salute to SAB. The correct date is Wed Jan 14, not Feb 14 (which falls on a Sat.).

That's good to know, as I had told my husband we'd have to do Valentine's Day dinner another night. :FIREdevil: