This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thanks for the link, Mashinka. I’m inclined to agree with the editor of Opera Now, who is quoted as saying that the Three Tenors phenomenon was accidental and any attempt to replicate it deliberately is unlikely to take off. An opera star with wide public appeal like Pavarotti doesn’t come with the mail, for one thing, and it also just happened that the three voices involved sounded good together, which isn’t always the case, as the article also notes. Still, it will be interesting to see how this develops.

Oh, dear. I think they tried that a couple of times with various matinee-idol-looking tenors after the original. They did pick the cute ones, though, and three of the most lauded young(ish) tenors.

I just don't see these three men being as shamelessly cheesy as Pavarotti, which I suspect was a lot of the appeal. Domingo looked wryly detached from the phenomenon, and Careras was happy to be alive and singing after his near-fatal bout with leukemia.

In fairness to Pavarotti, it wasn’t just cheesiness, although I’ll allow that element was there. He had a genuinely popular touch and the kind of voice even non-fans can recognize immediately. These skinny guys with the stubble are unlikely to have the same no matter what the quality of their vocals.

Oh, dear. I think they tried that a couple of times with various matinee-idol-looking tenors after the original. They did pick the cute ones, though, and three of the most lauded young(ish) tenors.

True. It never seems to occur to them that the original Three Ts were not ugly by any means but looks weren’t central to the appeal of their show. (I saw the first one again on PBS recently. It holds up really well.)

I also remember Three Irish Tenors and Three Sopranos. Didn't get very far.