This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Casting for final two weeks of ABT 2008 season at The Met

An ABT press release:

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR FINAL TWO WEEKS OF

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2008 SPRING SEASON

AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Julie Kent and Jose Manuel Carreño to Lead

Revival Premiere of The Merry Widow on Monday, June 30

Casting for the seventh and eighth weeks of American Ballet Theatre’s 2008 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

The Revival Premiere of Ronald Hynd’s The Merry Widow will take place on Monday, June 30, led by Julie Kent as Hanna Glawari, Jose Manuel Carreño as Count Danilo Danilowitch, Xiomara Reyes as Valencienne and Gennadi Saveliev as Camille. Paloma Herrera, Marcelo Gomes, Maria Riccetto and Sascha Radetsky will debut in these roles on Tuesday, July 1. The evening performance on Wednesday, July 2 will feature Irina Dvorovenko as Hanna Glawari, with debuts by Maxim Beloserkovsky as Count Danilo Danilowitch, Yuriko Kajiya as Valencienne and Jared Matthews as Camille. The Merry Widow is set to music by Franz Lehár, orchestrated by John Lanchbery, with scenery and costumes by Desmond Heeley and lighting by Michael J. Whitfield. Adapted from Lehár’s operetta of the same name, The Merry Widow was premiered by The Australian Ballet in 1975 and received its ABT premiere in 1997.

The season will conclude with eight performances of Giselle, beginning Monday, July 7, led by Nina Ananiashvili in the title role, Angel Corella as Albrecht, Gennadi Saveliev as Hilarion and Gillian Murphy as Myrta. David Hallberg will debut as Albrecht at the matinee on Wednesday, July 9, opposite Irina Dvorovenko as Giselle, and Herman Cornejo will dance the role for the first time on Thursday, July 10, opposite Xiomara Reyes as Giselle. Set to music by Adolphe Adam and orchestrated by John Lanchbery, Giselle was staged by Kevin McKenzie with choreography after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa. The two-act ballet features scenery by Gianni Quaranta and costumes by Anna Anni. This production, with scenery by Quaranta and costumes by Anni, was created for the film Dancers in 1987. Giselle is generously supported through an endowed gift from Anka Palitz in memory of Clarence Y. Palitz, Jr.

Superfund Asset Management, Inc. is the sponsor of American Ballet Theatre's 2008 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House. Saks Fifth Avenue is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of American Ballet Theatre's Costume Fund. American Airlines is the Official Airline of American Ballet Theatre. ABT's 2008 Spring Season is also made possible with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2008 Metropolitan Opera House season, priced $25-$106, are available at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org <http://www.abt.org> .

Complete casting follows:

SEVENTH WEEK

Mon. Eve., June 30, 8 P.M. THE MERRY WIDOW – Kent, Carreño, Reyes, Saveliev*

Tues. Eve., July 1, 8 P.M. THE MERRY WIDOW – Herrera*, Gomes*, Riccetto*, Radetsky*

Wed. Mat., July 2, 2 P.M. THE MERRY WIDOW – Kent, Carreño, Reyes, Saveliev

Wed. Eve., July 2, 8 P.M. THE MERRY WIDOW – Dvorovenko, Beloserkovsky*, Kajiya*, Matthews*

Thurs. Eve., July 3, 8 P.M. THE MERRY WIDOW – Kent, Carreño, Reyes, Saveliev

Fri. Eve., July 4 NO PERFORMANCE

Sat. Mat., July 5, 2 P.M. THE MERRY WIDOW – Herrera, Gomes, Riccetto, Radetsky

Sat. Eve., July 5, 8 P.M. THE MERRY WIDOW – Dvorovenko, Beloserkovsky, Kajiya, Matthews

EIGHTH WEEK

Mon. Eve., July 7, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Ananiashvili, Corella, Saveliev, Murphy

Tues. Eve., July 8, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Kent, Stiefel, Radetsky, Wiles

Wed. Mat., July 9, 2 P.M. GISELLE – Dvorovenko, Hallberg*, Stappas, Murphy

Wed. Eve., July 9, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Herrera, Gomes, Saveliev, Part

Thurs. Eve., July 10, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Reyes, Cornejo*, Stappas, Wiles

Fri. Eve., July 11, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Vishneva, Carreño, Saveliev, Murphy

Sat. Mat., July 12, 2 P.M. GISELLE – Dvorovenko, Beloserkovsky, Stappas, Part

Sat. Eve., July 12, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Kent, Stiefel, Radetsky, Wiles

*please note first time in a role:

Mon. Eve., 6/30 – Saveliev (Camille) in The Merry Widow

Tues. Eve., 7/1 – Herrera (Hanna), Gomes (Danilo), Riccetto (Valencienne) and Radetsky (Camille) in

The Merry Widow

Wed. Eve., 7/2 – Beloserkovsky (Danilo), Kajiya (Valencienne) and Matthews (Camille) in The Merry

Widow

Wed. Mat., 7/9 – Hallberg (Albrecht) in Giselle

Thurs. Eve., 7/10 – Cornejo (Albrecht) in Giselle

EIGHTH WEEK

Mon. Eve., July 7, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Ananiashvili, Corella, Saveliev, Murphy

Tues. Eve., July 8, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Kent, Stiefel, Radetsky, Wiles

Wed. Eve., July 9, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Herrera, Gomes, Saveliev, Part

Thurs. Eve., July 10, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Reyes, Cornejo*, Stappas, Wiles

Fri. Eve., July 11, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Vishneva, Carreño, Saveliev, Murphy

Sat. Mat., July 12, 2 P.M. GISELLE – Dvorovenko, Beloserkovsky, Stappas, Part

Sat. Eve., July 12, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Kent, Stiefel, Radetsky, Wiles

Interesting that all the Myrthas are principal dancers except Part, who has been doing the role for some years. I would have thought that perhaps one of the new soloists might have gotten a Myrtha (Kristi Boone perhaps? From the little I've seen of her, she would seem to have the stage presence and size for the role...)

Does anyone have any news regarding Vishneva's chances of actually performing in Giselle on July 11? After what happened with Don Quixote, I am hesitant to buy Giselle tickets until I know that she has fully recovered from her injury.

Does anyone have any news regarding Vishneva's chances of actually performing in Giselle on July 11? After what happened with Don Quixote, I am hesitant to buy Giselle tickets until I know that she has fully recovered from her injury.

From her site* today:

†I have started rehearsals cautiously. Whether I will dance Giselle will be found out in 2-3 days. If I will not be, I will clean this performance on the site.

* http://www.vishneva.ru/eng/index.htm

From her site* today:

†I have started rehearsals cautiously. Whether I will dance Giselle will be found out in 2-3 days. If I will not be, I will clean this performance on the site.

* http://www.vishneva.ru/eng/index.htm

Kudos to Ms. Vishneva for communicating with her fans and being up front about her situation! Fingers crossed for the Giselle...

To anyone interested in seeing Hallberg's Albrecht, the matinee has now been changed to Reyes/Cornejo, same as Thursday night. He was listed for Wednesday as of yesterday, but this morning the calander was changed and the box office confirmed it. He's not listed at all for next week. Third cast for this date & no Hallberg Albrecht.

All the more a puzzle since ABT's casting for Japan the following week includes Mr. Hallberg, including a Corsaire. Also, under the heading of why didn't we get it, is a pair of Ananiashvili/Gomes/COPELAND/Corella Corsaires.

To anyone interested in seeing Hallberg's Albrecht, the matinee has now been changed to Reyes/Cornejo, same as Thursday night. He was listed for Wednesday as of yesterday, but this morning the calander was changed and the box office confirmed it. He's not listed at all for next week. Third cast for this date & no Hallberg Albrecht.

I would interpret this to mean:

a) The Reyes/Cornejo duo is looking so magnificent that it would be a crime not to give them a second performance; or

b) Vishneva is really in doubt for Friday night, and they are thinking about what on earth they will be able to produce that will come close to curing the (potential) disappointment - that would be a Hallberg debut or a third and most certainly magnificent performance of Reyes/Cornejo; or

c) Hallberg is not 100% and McKenzie sees a legitimate excuse to save him for what will be a world shattering double debut with Abrera in the not too distant future; or

d) a combination of a, b, and c.

It's all good. I was looking forward to the Dvorovenko/Hallberg event, but seeing Reyes & Cornejo twice does not leave me the least bit disappointed.

. . . or,

c.1) Perhaps Dvorovenko is not 100%. Her season hasn't exactly been a cakewalk this year - having to break in two youngsters as partners while still delivering her expected fantastic performances.

I think that either Hallberg is injured or most likely they decided he is still not ready for Albretch debut (especially after his Basilio debut this year, which apparently not everybody agreed on it). He has handled two other debuts this year; a third seems a little too much.

No matter how good may Reyes/Cornejo be looking in rehearsals, giving them back to back performances is a clear sign that there were not more choices available, especially considering Diana situation which still seems to be question mark.

I was planning to go on Thursday and this is kind of disappointing since I rather wanted to see Herman debut than a second performance, right after the 1st one, when both of them may feel a little tired :)

I'd like to see the Reyes/Cornejo pairing but I'm already going to 3 Giselles and I've decided not to consider any more till I'm relatively sure about who I'll be seeing at the Friday performance!

Meanwhile, there is a story in TONY called the Giselle Files where Gia Korlas provides brief Q&As for 5 ABT corps members who will be featured in Giselle. From this we learn that Blair Hoven will dance the PPD with Hee Seo, Mikhail Ilyin will dance it with Sarah Lane, Melanie Hamrick & Simone Messmer will both dance Moyna. Now if we only new WHICH PERFORMANCES they were scheduled for...

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/articles/da...e-giselle-files

vishneva's out, according to her site:

BLeeper: Diana, We pray for your speedy recovery. Where is your injury and when did it happen? We were coming to N.Y. but will not be there if you do not perform. Your healing is more important at this time. It would be wonderful to meet you sometime and we would make the trip to N.Y. just for that purpose. Hope you feel better soon. Speedy recovery to you and take good care.

Diana: Thanks. Unfortunately, probably, till the autumn I cannot dance. To the future meetings.

Diana: Thanks for your care. Unfortunately I have received a serious trauma and in this season I can not dance in ABT. To a meeting in a following season (in the autumn on tours KIROV ballet in the USA and in May 2009 in MET).

she took the date off her calendar too.

vishneva's out, according to her site:
BLeeper: Diana, We pray for your speedy recovery. Where is your injury and when did it happen? We were coming to N.Y. but will not be there if you do not perform. Your healing is more important at this time. It would be wonderful to meet you sometime and we would make the trip to N.Y. just for that purpose. Hope you feel better soon. Speedy recovery to you and take good care.

Diana: Thanks. Unfortunately, probably, till the autumn I cannot dance. To the future meetings.

Diana: Thanks for your care. Unfortunately I have received a serious trauma and in this season I can not dance in ABT. To a meeting in a following season (in the autumn on tours KIROV ballet in the USA and in May 2009 in MET).

she took the date off her calendar too.

That was to be expected. I wonder how serious her injury really is.

With Diana out, can we get our tickets refunded at the box office?

I wish we could, but I'm afraid we can't.

This whole season has been such a terrible disappointment for me. Of all the casts that I originally wanted to see the only one that was left intact was La Bayadere with Part and Gomes. Everything else was a total waste of my time and money.

I realize injuries happen, but it looks like Diana's condition was serious enough to stop selling tickets to her performances a long time ago.

I don't feel the ABT managemement has been completely honest about this situation and this is why I am not going to renew my subscriptions next year.

With Diana out, can we get our tickets refunded at the box office?

I don't think so - a quote from ABT (it may be a Met policy)

All ticket sales are final. There are no refunds, exchanges or cancellations. Casting is subject to change without notice.

I realize injuries happen, but it looks like Diana's condition was serious enough to stop selling tickets to her performances a long time ago.

I don't feel the ABT managemement has been completely honest about this situation and this is why I am not going to renew my subscriptions next year.

I don't really think that fair, not with the comments from vishneva's own website saying she was going to try and start rehearsals for Giselle. If *she* was planning to give it a go, why were they supposed to know better?

Furthermore, maybe I was lucky, but it doesn't seem like, with the exception of visheva, there have been a lot of major changes in the schedule this year, and injuries happen. Unfortunate but true.

Now that the determination has been made, I can say that I saw Vishneva at the Lincoln Center Crafts Fair on June 22. I wished her well and asked her whether she would be dancing the Giselle. She said she hoped so, but made that palm-down wrist rotating gesture meaning "maybe, maybe not." She was not visibly impaired, but her mere presence in New York I took as an indication of her determination to fulfill the date, unless impossible. Her body language in general suggested the odds were less than 50-50.

Who will take her place on Friday?

It's just a guess, but ABT may have asked Nina to stick around through the week in case. She replaced Diana in Don Q & Swan, so it would seem management feels she's the best candidate.

And there's time to rest after her scheduled performance on Monday.

I also saw Vishneva recently - in the audience at the Woetzel farewell. I didn't speak to her but I took her continued presence in NY to mean that she was rehabbing and hoped to make her final scheduled performance (as she later indicated on her website).

I hope Zerbinetta is right and they replace her with Nina again. I was somewhat disapointed with Nina in SL and DQ but I think she will be wonderful in Giselle. It's a great role for her and less exposing than the previous two, so at this point - that's my best case scenario for Friday.

MakarovaFan & Waelsung - don't forget that while ABT's policy is no exchanges or refunds they generally will exchange tickets at the box office as long as you go a few days ahead of time. They definitely will not give refunds.

MakarovaFan & Waelsung - don't forget that while ABT's policy is no exchanges or refunds they generally will exchange tickets at the box office as long as you go a few days ahead of time. They definitely will not give refunds.

Thank you nysusan, as a subscriber I have exchange privileges, but what will I exchange my Friday ticket for? I already have a ticket to the Monday performance with Ananiashvili and Corella, and there's nobody else I'd like to see, especially at these prices (my seats are in the orchestra). Had I known in advance, I would have exchanged for a Sleeping Beauty or La Bayadere, but now it's obviously too late.

On top of that, starting next year all ticket exchanges will command an additional $5 fee. If you consider that there was no single subscription ticket that I have actually used myself this season (all of them have been exchanged or given away to relatives and friends), subscriptions start losing their appeal rather fast :P