This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Miami City Ballet partners with Cleveland Orchestra

Good news miamians! :clapping:

The Cleveland Orchestra's 2009 Miami season will launch a three-year partnership with Miami City Ballet in addition to its concerts at the Arsht Center for the Performing Arts. No artistic details were released as to repertoire, number of performances or who will be conducting. The collaboration will include the premiere of a newly commissioned ballet in 2012, a benefit performance at the Arsht Center in January and an invitation for the ballet company to perform with the orchestra at its summer home, the Blossom Music Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

http://www.miamiherald.com/234/story/561147.html

Thanks, cristian, for that excellent news.

Am I right in assuming that their regular performances will continue to played by their local orchestra, Opus One? It's conducted by the company's "Principal Conductor," Juan Francisco La Manna. There a little on the small side, and could use some beefing up with the strings for big numbers like Tchaikovsky. I wonder how this will effect them, and their funding. (The company has a special fund -- the "Live Music Initiative" -- which is accumulating money to guarantee live music in future seasons. It would be a shame to see donations deflected from that.

RE the plans to perform with the Cleveland Orchestra at Cuyahoga Falls -- Anything that provides the dancers with more exposure, and more chances to work, is wonderful. :angel_not:

P.S.: Just a reminder to Ballet Talkers -- Miami City Ballet is the major ballet company of the very large performing arts centers in Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and Naples. Only about a third of the company's performnaces actually take place at the Arsht. I'm looking forward to hearing how this new partnership may affect those of us in these other "Miami" locations.

P.S.: Just a reminder to Ballet Talkers -- Miami City Ballet is the major ballet company of the very large performing arts centers in Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and Naples. Only about a third of the company's perfomrnaces actually take place at the Arsht.

Aha...and also that some of the best casting for some works has not been seen by us miamians :angel_not:

P.S.: Just a reminder to Ballet Talkers -- Miami City Ballet is the major ballet company of the very large performing arts centers in Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and Naples. Only about a third of the company's perfomrnaces actually take place at the Arsht.

Aha...and also that some of the best casting for some works has not been seen by us miamians :flowers:

The news that this partnership will bring the MCB closer to the Midwest is pretty exciting. A 5+ hour drive to the Cleveland area is much closer to me than a 20+ hour drive to any point in FL.

I hope they bring Symphony in Three movements and Square Dance when they perform.