This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT - "Etudes" and "Rabbit and Rogue"

I haven’t posted on Ballet Alert (though I’ve read many posts) since April, and this new system is really confusing. All I want to do is add my thoughts to those who have already posted about the Lander and Tharp ballets. It used to be that one could add a reply under ballet companies. But since that isn’t the case any more, I’ll put this under new topics (though it’s not at all a new topic).

I attended the June 7th matinee of “Etudes” and “The Rabbit and the Rogue”. I really loved loved loved the Tharp ballet – the choreography, the music, the dancers, everything. I don’t have a lot of time (and I’m never sure how to phrase my ballet opinion), so I just say that I agree with FauxPas review of “The Rabbit and the Rogue”. (And she writes much better than I ever could.) I also agree with SanderO that “Etudes” and the new Tharp work should not have been on the same program. (And everyone sitting near me felt the same way.) The two ballets were too similar – with regard to the energy and the music. But I do like the Tharp piece better. (And I like “Etudes as well).

My problem with “Etudes” is that I saw the Kirov dance it during their City Center season. I thought Dvorovenko was equally as good as Somova, but Cory Stearns and especially Jared Matthews were not up to the standards set by Schkyarov and Sarafanov of the Kirov. Stearns was pretty good, but I think he’s a better partner than a solo dancer (at this point in his career anyway.) Jared Matthews was pretty good, but in my mind’s eye I saw Leonid Sarafanov as the turning boy. So of course Matthews came up short (in my opinion anyway). Even Alistair McAuley commented on Sarafanov’s eight consecutive double tours en l’air. Matthews did about four, five tops. I know ballet is not just about technique, but it’s basically (technique that is) what “Etudes” is about. I really think there are quite a few ABT men who would have fit the turning boy better than Matthews. When I saw ABT perform “Etudes” previously, Corella and DeLuz were very exciting turning boys. Okay, Corella’s sick and DeLuz’s with NYCB, but what about Gomes, Halberg and Radetsky. And foremost – why wasn’t Cornejo scheduled to dance “Etudes”? Okay, so Cornejo was dancing in the Tharp piece, but both Stearns and Matthews danced in “Etudes” and “The Rabbit and the Rogue”. (And at the same performance no less.) I remember at least one Ballet Alert poster saying that he (or she - I can’t remember the poster’s name.) was really looking forward to seeing Cornejo try to best Sarafanov in the turning boy wars.

Anyway, I would love to see the Tharp piece again (and as already been said, preferably at City Center). There was so much going on in the ballet that I really think I would benefit from a second viewing.