This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Russes Symposium

Hi all, thought I might write to contribute a few thoughts over the next few days from the Ballet Russes symposium in Adelaide.

Last night was the welcome drinks and introduction which was very pleasant- and I saw Irina Baronova! She is absolutely tiny but unmistakeable. Anna Volkova is also in attendance. This morning is the start of the symposium and topics for today are 'Astonish Me!'- Ballet Russes and the collaborative ideal, 'Ballet Russes in Australia: Our Cultural Revolution', 'Just visualising the music? Choreography raises its voice', 'Who's Who? Photographing the Ballet Russes in Australia in the 1930s' and 'Caring for Tradition'.

After that I am off to see the Australian Ballet perform "French Connections". I'm very excited! Is anyone else in attendance?

Hi all, thought I might write to contribute a few thoughts over the next few days from the Ballet Russes symposium in Adelaide.

Last night was the welcome drinks and introduction which was very pleasant- and I saw Irina Baronova! She is absolutely tiny but unmistakeable. Anna Volkova is also in attendance. This morning is the start of the symposium and topics for today are 'Astonish Me!'- Ballet Russes and the collaborative ideal, 'Ballet Russes in Australia: Our Cultural Revolution', 'Just visualising the music? Choreography raises its voice', 'Who's Who? Photographing the Ballet Russes in Australia in the 1930s' and 'Caring for Tradition'.

After that I am off to see the Australian Ballet perform "French Connections". I'm very excited! Is anyone else in attendance?

HI, amiaow, and welcome to BT!. Well, what can i say about this event...? I would DIE to assist, and mingle with such legends as Madame Baronova ( :bow: ). I've always been fascinated with this ballet troupe, and i have their movie always ready to play while at home. I love it, and I've always thought that very little tribute has been paid to this amazing company and its stars. They deserve way more. The glamour that they brought to the art form is priceless. I wish we could have some of that in our nowadays ballet companies.

Enjoy the event for both, you and me!

:)

I enjoyed this story published in an article about the Ballets Russes Symposium held in Adelaide last month. From The Sydney Morning Herald. 26 May 2008. page 16.

At the Symposium Irina Baronova spoke of their first tour to Australia in 1936.

To the multinational troupe of dancers recruited in Paris and London, "Australia was a mystery", said the Russian-born Baronova, just as the ballet was a mystery to many Australians.

"I remember at a matinee of
Cinderella
, a family left after 20 minutes. The papa told the theatre manager, 'We want our money back.... We've been here 20 minutes and no one has said a word.' Slowly, they [the audiences] came to understand...

Thank you for not forgetting us."

I, too, would like to hear more about this. Thanks, aimiaow, for posting the information.

I was especially interested in one of the presentations: "Ballet Russe: Our Cultural Revolution." The company (companies?) had such an impact in the development of ballet and an opening up to European higher culture in the U.S. in the 40s I would imagine it had an even bigger impact, proportionally, with the much smaller Austrialian population.

by the way, is that "miaow" as in catspeak? Another cat lover?