This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Toumanova

this undated, uncredited photo shows Tamara Toumanova in what i take to be her Don Quixote Pas de Deux tutu, which may have been a creation of Karinska's.

i think she was THE first dancer (or among the first) to dance the now ubiquitous DON QUIXOTE PAS DE DEUX in the US.

i have found to references to an early staging of this 'highlight' number (for Ballet Theatre) by Anatole Obukhov.

post-848-1211119417_thumb.jpg

Don't think it's a Karinska, because of bodice construction and fit......but I especially enjoy her 'take no prisoners' expression. I can just imagine her in this pdd; she probably wielded that fan like an uzi.....

in related photos from the era w/ M. Hayden and L. Serrano (both posed w/ J. Kriza) neither ballerina has a fan.

it's possible the fan only came into the pas once the full version of the ballet began to tour here w/ the bolshoi ballet.

in related photos from the era w/ M. Hayden and L. Serrano (both posed w/ J. Kriza) neither ballerina has a fan.

it's possible the fan only came into the pas once the full version of the ballet began to tour here w/ the bolshoi ballet.

And i also have one with Mme. Alonso from her BT years, no fan either...