This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cornejo siblings.

Carbro put me onto their La Sylphide - for which I am foot lickingly grateful - and then the ABC put on the ABT's Swan lake two nights ago and there they were delighting me again. Am i right in saying that Herman has extreme ballon? How i'd love to be able to see them dance in the flesh.

Unfortunately for New York, Erica joined her husband Jose Carlos Molina (thank you Marga [see below] :blushing: ), and they are both principal dancers at Boston Ballet. Amy Reusch reviewed their Swan Lake of this past weekend here.

Herman is still with ABT, but his wife, Carmen Corella, has left ABT to join her brother, Angel's company, in Madrid. I expect as Ballet de Espana gets going, Herman will be dividing his time between the two companies.

Do you need a diagram to understand the relationships? :wink:

Yes, Herman has extraordinary elevation, but to me that his among his lesser assets. He has an amazing ability to see exactly how a phrase should look and reproduce it with his body. When he dances, you can almost see the mental work he's put into his dancing -- not to imply that you can see him thinking on stage. And his musicality is unsurpassed.

Was it Macaulay who recently called him the greatest male dancer of his generation? I'd probably add an earlier generation or two. In my opinion, even Baryshnikov was not his equal.

Both Cornejos are still relatively young. I expect we'll be hearing a lot more of them for a good, long time.

Oh, and while I'm here, let me add this:

Last week I attended ABT's Works & Process evening at the Guggenheim Museum. Basically, it was a lecture/demonstration/preview of the upcoming Met season. Partnering Xiomara Reyes and in practice clothes, Herman did the daisy scene from Giselle. It was the highlight of the whole program (which included some terrific dancing from various ABT principals and soloists). I had never seen that moment as particularly erotic, but his earnestness and tenderness were powerfully seductive. He hasn't yet danced Albrecht, but when he debuts in July, I expect he will be a very sexy Albrecht. I can't wait!

Unfortunately for New York, Erica joined her husband Jose Molina, and they are both principal dancers at Boston Ballet. Amy Reusch reviewed their Swan Lake of this past weekend here.

Herman is still with ABT, but his wife, Carmen Corella, has left ABT to join her brother, Angel's company, in Madrid. I expect as Ballet de Espana gets going, Herman will be dividing his time between the two companies.

Do you need a diagram to understand the relationships? :blushing:

Yes, Herman has extraordinary elevation, but to me that his among his lesser assets. He has an amazing ability to see exactly how a phrase should look and reproduce it with his body. When he dances, you can almost see the mental work he's put into his dancing -- not to imply that you can see him thinking on stage. And his musicality is unsurpassed.

to

Was it Macaulay who recently called him the greatest male dancer of his generation? I'd probably add an earlier generation or two. In my opinion, even Baryshnikov was not his equal.

Both Cornejos are still relatively young. I expect we'll be hearing a lot more of them for a good, long time.

Oh, and while I'm here, let me add this:

Last week I attended ABT's Works & Process evening at the Guggenheim Museum. Basically, it was a lecture/demonstration/preview of the upcoming Met season. Partnering Xiomara Reyes and in practice clothes, Herman did the daisy scene from Giselle. It was the highlight of the whole program (which included some terrific dancing from various ABT principals and soloists). I had never seen that moment as particularly erotic, but his earnestness and tenderness were powerfully seductive. He hasn't yet danced Albrecht, but when he debuts in July, I expect he will be a very sexy Albrecht. I can't wait!

Can you elaborate on the other dancers who performed?Thanks :wink:

You couldn't have possibly seen a lot of Baryshnikov in order to draw a conclusion that he is not someone's equal. He is not only the greatest dancer of his generation, but one of the greatest of the 20 th century. It's the other way around-is there anyone today who can be regarded as Baryshnikov's equal or close? In fact there'll never be another or second Baryshnikov -He is One and Only.

Carbro put me onto their La Sylphide - for which I am foot lickingly grateful - and then the ABC put on the ABT's Swan lake two nights ago and there they were delighting me again. Am i right in saying that Herman has extreme ballon? How i'd love to be able to see them dance in the flesh.

whetherwax, since you were asking in another thread about interesting dvds you MUST check out Ashton's Dream where Herman turns a superbly danced and characterized performance as Puck. Erica also dances as a fairy.

[and :off topic: after that you could buy the Pacific Northwest Ballet's Midsummer Night Dream to compare the Ashton with the Balanchine version. You've mentioned in that other thread that you're hesitating to start with Balanchine but Midsummer is atypical Balanchine and actually aesthetically closer to what you have been recently watching than, say, Manon]

You couldn't have possibly seen a lot of Baryshnikov in order to draw a conclusion that he is not someone's equal. He is not only the greatest dancer of his generation, but one of the greatest of the 20 th century. It's the other way around-is there anyone today who can be regarded as Baryshnikov's equal or close? In fact there'll never be another or second Baryshnikov -He is One and Only.
If you'll reread my post, I clearly stated that it was my judgment. I saw Baryshnikov in person many times and would not have made the comparison had I not. Without question, Baryshnikov was one of the greatest dancers of the 20th century. Cornejo is perhaps the greatest of the still new 21st. I think he is more versatile than MB. I have my opinion, you have yours, and I'm glad you do. This would be a dull board, indeed, if all of us agreed on everything.

I heartily second chris217's video recommendations. While her implication that Balanchine's Midsummer Night's Dream is a narrative ballet with scenery and costumes is true, I'm not sure Manon would be my choice of comparison. :off topic: The Cornejos' performances in ABT's video of the Ashton had slipped my mind. Thanks, Chris, for the reminder.

While her implication that Balanchine's Midsummer Night's Dream is a narrative ballet with scenery and costumes is true, I'm not sure Manon would be my choice of comparison. :off topic:
I'm comparing with Manon because it was recommended to whetherwax as a next step after 19th century classics in that other thread (which retrospectively was where I should have posted this recommendation)

I was disappointed when Erica moved to Boston since it's rather improbable that she'll be filmed there (except by hand cams) but here's hoping that there will be soon more videos of Herman. It may not be a live performance but it's all us living away from New York have. Please film Herman!!! :beg:

While her implication that Balanchine's Midsummer Night's Dream is a narrative ballet with scenery and costumes is true, I'm not sure Manon would be my choice of comparison. :off topic:
I'm comparing with Manon because it was recommended to whetherwax as a next step after 19th century classics in that other thread (which retrospectively was where I should have posted this recommendation)

I was disappointed when Erica moved to Boston since it's rather improbable that she'll be filmed there (except by hand cams) but here's hoping that there will be soon more videos of Herman. It may not be a live performance but it's all us living away from New York have. Please film Herman!!! :beg:

Tsk, tsk, you know that hand cams are not allowed in theaters.

Last I saw, Boston Ballet recorded most of their productions with a Canon XL-1 or XL-2 digital video camera--which is a couple thousand dollars more expensive than a handy-cam. I think, though, it is simply a straight wide-shot for archival/training purposes, and not for broadcast or release. (Shame on WGBH). The videographer is usually visible (and approachable if not busy) in the back of the theatre next to the light board. The sound man is upstairs. Of course there could also be a few sureptitious cell-phones as well.

RE: The Cornejos:

Erica (and husband Carlos Molina) have been VERY busy rehearsing "Swan Lake" AND "In the Upper Room" which is scheduled the weekend following. They also were also substitute principals (hooray for me) at the matinee I attended, due to many recent injuries affecting casting. So applaud not only their abilities as dancers, but also their stamina and perseverence.

Herman, of course, is finally getting his due at ABT, and the chance to explore and demonstrate his abilities even further through other ventures. I am VERY happy for him and his family.

Thanks all for advice and responses re the Cornejos. Re the other thread Chrisk217 I will take your advice - I take your point about MidSND as I am always drawn to the "faerie" aspect of ballet. I am getting ready to learn about Balanchine having just read Taper's biography with pleasure and I find that the Australian Ballet is putting on Ballet Imperial in month or so!!

Can you elaborate on the other dancers who performed? Thanks :)

bingham, my friend, I'm sorry to be so late in replying. I have misplaced my notes and was hoping to post more completely. But at least for the time being, I'll give the program as it was on the handout, except that Irina Dvorovenko replaced the scheduled Michele Wiles. If the announcement of the substitution was made, I missed it. I don't know whether Michele performed the previous night.

Excerpts from
Swan Lake

Act I Pas de trois: Yuriko Kajiya, Maria Riccetto, Blaine Hoven

Act II Mime, Swan Queen and Prince: Irina Dvorovenko, David Hallberg

Excerpt from
The Merry Widow

Act II Pas de Deux: Xiomara Reyes & Gennadi Saveliev

Excerpt from
Don Quixote

Act I Pas de Trois: Yuriko Kajiya, Maria Riccetto, David Hallberg

Excerpt from
Giselle

Act I Mime Scene -- Giselle, Hilarion, Albrecht: Xiomara Reyes, Gennadi Saveliev, Herman Cornejo

Excerpt from
Le Corsaire

Act II Bedroom Pas de Deux: Irina Dvorovenko and Corey Stearns
Can you elaborate on the other dancers who performed? Thanks :)

bingham, my friend, I'm sorry to be so late in replying. I have misplaced my notes and was hoping to post more completely. But at least for the time being, I'll give the program as it was on the handout, except that Irina Dvorovenko replaced the scheduled Michele Wiles. If the announcement of the substitution was made, I missed it. I don't know whether Michele performed the previous night.

Excerpts from
Swan Lake

Act I Pas de trois: Yuriko Kajiya, Maria Riccetto, Blaine Hoven

Act II Mime, Swan Queen and Prince: Irina Dvorovenko, David Hallberg

Excerpt from
The Merry Widow

Act II Pas de Deux: Xiomara Reyes & Gennadi Saveliev

Excerpt from
Don Quixote

Act I Pas de Trois: Yuriko Kajiya, Maria Riccetto, David Hallberg

Excerpt from
Giselle

Act I Mime Scene -- Giselle, Hilarion, Albrecht: Xiomara Reyes, Gennadi Saveliev, Herman Cornejo

Excerpt from
Le Corsaire

Act II Bedroom Pas de Deux: Irina Dvorovenko and Corey Stearns

No problem.How was C Stearns, a dancer i'm not familiar with?ABT seems to trust him with a few principal roles this season. Thanks.

whetherwax, since you were asking in another thread about interesting dvds you MUST check out Ashton's Dream where Herman turns a superbly danced and characterized performance as Puck. Erica also dances as a fairy.

[and :dunno: after that you could buy the Pacific Northwest Ballet's Midsummer Night Dream to compare the Ashton with the Balanchine version. You've mentioned in that other thread that you're hesitating to start with Balanchine but Midsummer is atypical Balanchine and actually aesthetically closer to what you have been recently watching than, say, Manon]

I have both versions of MSND the PNB Version I love the use of the children and the butterflies. It is very whimsical although Hippolytas choreography is a bit standard and not very inspired. I also have the ABT/Ashton version and Cornejo is a stand out. I was interested to read Carbros analysis of him I think he is evolving into something very special and if he does not get type cast into the short friend roles he is destined for greatness. Angel Corella has broken that mold and Cornejo seems poised to do the same. He is consistently eye popping to watch.

"Yes, Herman has extraordinary elevation, but to me that his among his lesser assets. He has an amazing ability to see exactly how a phrase should look and reproduce it with his body. When he dances, you can almost see the mental work he's put into his dancing -- not to imply that you can see him thinking on stage. And his musicality is unsurpassed."

I quite agree that Herman Cornejo is the greatest male dancer today. Your observation about the mental work he has put into his dancing is interesting to me, because to me it comes across as intuitive--a talent beyond compare--as if he just "knows" how to move, what is called for by the music and the context. But you may be right--perhaps all the thought that he has given to a role allows it to seem completely natural, the way years of rigorous training make ballet look easy in an accomplished dancer. Thankfully, the prediction when he joined ABT that he would never be a prince because of his height has not come true. The ballet fairy has bestowed upon him, and by extension, upon us, a true partner in Xiomara Reyes. I can't wait to see him dance Albrecht! Angelica