This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I'd like to draw everyone's attention to the upcoming performances (May 15 - 17) at the Miller Theatre/Columbia University by TAKE Dance, a young Company created by former Paul Taylor dancer Takehiro Ueyama.

Here is their website: http://www.takedanceny.com/home.htm

Take, as he is called by everyone, blends a Taylor style with Asian influences and an intrinsic feel for the music. He continues to dance and watching him in a rehearsal the other day reminded me of the many times I saw him with Taylor: a sort of masculine lyricism that is rare.

Take's generous invitation to the rehearsal introduced me to his very exciting mix of dancers including Taylor's Amy Young and James Samson. I was honored to meet Linda Kent, who danced with Paul Taylor Company in the 1970s and 1980s and who works with Take in an advisory capacity. Meeting her and watching Take's beautiful young dancers made me deeply aware of the generational continuum that is so much a part of the dance world.