This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

This or that

That's two Kaisers vs. three Ottos? Or is there a third Kaiser? Help me with this.

Four Otto brothers: David and William (NYCB), Phillip (Milwaukee Ballet, Pennsylvania Ballet, and PNB), and the youngest, Eric (was ABT, NYCB, Met Opera Ballet in 2007). Both William and Eric Otto also performed in musical theater, Eric in "Movin' Out" on Broadway and tour. I don't remember the show William was in or whether it was Broadway and/or tour. According to the SAB Alumni Directory, William Otto is Artistic Director of New Haven Ballet, a position that his brother Phillip held before he moved to Alabama to head the Huntsville Ballet. I suspect they have the wrong brother listed, since the New Haven Ballet homepage lists Noble Barker as AD (site updated a few weeks ago).

According to this article from this past June, there are five dancing Kaiser brothers, other links show four of whom danced in ballet: Russell (NYCB, now on Boston Ballet faculty), Roy (Pennsylvania Ballet), Kevin (Pacific Northwest Ballet), and Dan (Pennsylvania Ballet). Ken performed in Off-Broadway musicals and teaches tap at the school he runs in Tacoma.

So there were four ballet dancing brothers apiece for the Ottos and Kaisers.

There were also two Otto sisters. Deborah Otto-Jones teaches on the faculty of Saratoga Ballet Academy, for which David Otto is Artistic Director. I thought she danced professionally, but I can't find any link on the Internet for her as a performer. There's also a Christine Otto listed on the faculty of Saratoga Ballet Academy, but don't know the relation, if any. There's no mention of any sisters in any of the Kaiser links I found.

When poking around, I learned that both David and William Otto attended North Carolina School of the Arts and that the Kaisers grew up in Federal Way, Washington, just south of Seattle. Both Kevin and Ken Kaiser are in the Puget Sound area.

Those Ottos make formidable ballet presence! Thanks, Helene! Going into the next generation, they should be able to make their own family company. "Otto Ballet" has a nice ring to it!

Les Sylphides!

Fountain of Bakchisarai or Stone Flower?

Fountains!

Which Nutcracker waltz, Snowflakes or Flowers?

Which Nutcracker waltz, Snowflakes or Flowers?

Snowflakes. (If they don't dance all that well, just toss more confetti!)

The Mice in Nutcracker or Kastchei's monsters in Firebird?

The Mice! (More charm, more strategy!)

Flying birds - Bluebird or Firebird?

bluebird, if assuming that Florine stays as a princess, so yes, the male character.

Veronika Part, Solist caliber or Principal material...?

Principal, in a big company with big and varied rep.

Do you prefer the girl in Robbins' Afternoon of a Faun to be aware or (and to encourage) what's going on with the boy? or to aware to be in something of a trance?

Principal, in a big company with big and varied rep.

Do you prefer the girl in Robbins' Afternoon of a Faun to be aware or (and to encourage) what's going on with the boy? or to aware to be in something of a trance?

Something of a trance

Guest Choreographer for a ballet company

Twyla Tharp or Mark Morris

Sizova, from what I've seen.

Giselle who descends to the grave via a trapdoor or Giselle who walks offstage?

Trapdoor-(careful she doesn't get stuck with overstuffed tutus, a la Mme. Alonso! )

Hilarion portray: well intentioned good guy in love trying to unmask Albretch's lies or madly in love bad guy who's green of envy of the 2 lovers happiness display...?