This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet de Espana

Iain Mackay (principal at Birmingham Royal Ballet) is joining Angel Corella's Ballet de Espana as a principal dancer.

http://www.brb.org.uk/4441.html

Is there any other news of company members yet?

Yes, former National Ballet of Cuba's Ms. Adyaris Almeida,ex Cincinnatti Ballet Principal and current Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami Principal (recently performed in their Swan Lake in Miami), is also on the move. I personally talked to her about it, and she was very excited. Here's a link to her page:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=109388074

CarolinaM, Grissi, 4mrdncr, and others who've posted on this new company: any further news? It's probably time to update our information and renew our enthusiasm.

The excellent ballet/dance webtsite, FOTOESCENA often has news about this -- as well as many other -- Spanish dance projects. There's a good English translation for most parts of the website.

Iain Mackay (principal at Birmingham Royal Ballet) is joining Angel Corella's Ballet de Espana as a principal dancer.

Yes, former National Ballet of Cuba's Ms. Adyaris Almeida,ex Cincinnatti Ballet Principal and current Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami Principal (recently performed in their Swan Lake in Miami), is also on the move. I personally talked to her about it, and she was very excited. Here's a link to her page:

According to Joseph Gatti's myspace page (linked from Adyaris's--they are a couple), he's dancing there as well.

According to Joseph Gatti's myspace page (linked from Adyaris's--they are a couple), he's dancing there as well.

Here's an interesting article related to their departure from CB.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../ENT/802150311/

I am glad BT and others are still interested in the Ballet de Espana, and will try to post more. Thank you Cristian for the link re: Adiarys Almeida and Joseph Gatti. But let me say the Cincinatti Enquirer article's author is wrong about one thing: The FULL Ballet de Espana may not be performing until its debut at the Teatro Real in Madrid September 4-10, BUT a smaller version of the Company has been touring Spain for some months now; most recently in Tenerife, Malaga, Barcelona, Segovia, Bilbao etc.etc.. Most performances have been sold out and very warmly received. Between dancing with, and overseeing, his Company; guesting at the Mariinsky; performing with ABT in Chicago, and soon the Met season, Angel Corella is quite busy.

Hi!

I’m also glad you are still interested in Ballet de España! The full company has started rehearsing and we hope a presentation to the media will be made soon.

According to what was said in this article:

http://www.brb.org.uk/4351.html

one can guess that Lain Mackay and Silvia Jiménez who are leaving Birmingham Ballet to go to Madrid, have joined Angel Corella’s Company as well.

As far as tickets for the Teatro Real: no, it is not possible to purchase tickets yet. Usualy in June-July season tickets are on sale and separate tickets are always available 15 days before the premiere, at 10:00 a.m.

The Teatro Real web site informing about the purchase of tickets is the following:

http://www.teatro-real.com/Information%20a...%20on%20tickets

and to finish: Many thanks Bart for your kind words about our web magazine! :dunno:

Any new we would know, any report we would publish I’ll keep BalletTalk posted about :)

FYI: Susan Jones has just spent a week setting "La Bayadere" for Angel Corella's new company. Angel's prodigious memory & technique did the rest. Ms. Jones is expected to return later this summer to fine-tune, and Makarova, herself, immediately before the debut performances in September at the Teatro Real in Madrid. Yes, Iain Mackay is there. Joseph Gatti and Adiarys Almeida should be arriving shortly. The Company is very nearly at full strength; enthusiastic, disciplined, and determined. I stand in awe of what Angel Corella has accomplished already, and the energy and focus necessary to perform nearly full-time at ABT and elsewhere, and still oversee the continued growth of his Company.

The "Corella Ballet" as how it seems it will be named, has sent a Press Release that we have published in fotoescena (just scroll down to see it).

I hope it is allowed to link the topic on the forum for you to see the photographs and for those understanding a bit Spanish to be able to read.

We are very exicited about and look forward to already see the Company debut at La Granja in July 11 & 12 with “Clear ” of Staton Welch; “Bruch Violín Concerto nº 1” of Clark Tippet and “In the Upper Room” of Twyla Tharp.

:)

I wonder what happened to the name "Ballet de Espana." Is "Corella Ballet" a temporary title? Or one likely to be with us for a while?

Here's a brief (and rough) translation of some of the press release very kindly linked by CarolinaM and Fotoescena:

Formed on April 1, 20008, the Corella Ballet is the only Classical Dance company in Spain today.

Created by and under the artistic direction of Angel Corella, it is made up of 51 dancers selected from a thousand applicants. (4 apprentices, 22 female corps, 14 male corps, 3 soloists, 2 first soloists, and 6 principals), coming from 13 countries (Spain, Cuba, the United States, the United Kingdom, Italy, Canada, Ireland, Japan, Lithuania, Russia, Portugal, Argentina and Kazakstan).

Corella Ballet is one of the projects currently being undertaken by the Angel Corella Foundation with the aim of promoting classical dance in Spain. It is part of a larger project which includes the creetion of a residential School of Dance which will develop dancers of the highest level. The school will service as a quarry [feeder?] for the Corella Ballet, thus maintaining the style and excellence of the company

Angel Corella's motivation in creating the school and company is to open doors within Spain so that classical dancers can develop professionally without having to go abroad, thus putting a brake on the exodus of dancers which has taken place over the past 2 decades and which Corella himself was part of.

I wonder what happened to the name "Ballet de Espana." Is "Corella Ballet" a temporary title? Or one likely to be with us for a while?

Here's a brief (and rough) translation of some of the press release very kindly linked by CarolinaM and Fotoescena:

Well, it seems that the name will be "Corella Ballet".

Thanks for this so good translation Bart, I can add that the official premiere of "Corella Ballet" will be with La Bayadere (Natalia Makarova) at the Teatro Real in Madrid, in September 4, 2008. Although already on July 11 and 12, the "Corella Ballet" will perform at La Granja (Segovia) where the Company is set. The program will be “Clear ” of Stanton Welch; “Bruch Violín Concerto nº 1”, of Clark Tippet and “In the Upper Room”, of Twyla Tharp.

If I get the whole press release in English I’ll post it here.

Any chance to meet anyone of you in Spain in short? :flowers: This would for sure be and excellent opportunity to pay us a visit. Remember that the Company is also scheduled at "El Gran Teatre del Liceu" in Barcelona July 2009 :)

"Corella Ballet" is the official name of the Company for now. The name change is due to a request (requirement?) of a principal funder of the Company, as are the performances in La Granja. The official Company debut is still the "La Bayadere" performances in Madrid at the Teatro Real in September 2008. Besides Barcelona, the Company will be performing in many other cities in Spain, but the full tour and dates have not been decided yet. There is a roster of dancers, but it hasn't been published yet. Once Angel's (and his Foundation & Company) website is revised, it will be posted there. Please remember, Angel and his Company are extremely busy now, so please be patient.

I remember seeing a list of countries that dancers hail from, but I don't think I ever saw a list of dancers names.

Hopefully it won't be long now - I've been patient, but it's been such a long time now since those auditions!

m2

I remember seeing a list of countries that dancers hail from, but I don't think I ever saw a list of dancers names.

Hopefully it won't be long now - I've been patient, but it's been such a long time now since those auditions!

m2

Hi m2! :)

Here it is the list of current dancers of the Corella Ballet forwarded by the press department of the company:

'CORELLA BALLET' LIST of DANCERS

PRINCIPALS

1 Ángel Corella (Español)

2 Heman Cornejo (Argentino)

3 Ian Mackey (Inglés)

4 Carmen Corella (Español)

5 Adiarys Almeida (Cubana)

6 Natalia Tapia (Española)

1st SOLOISTS

1 Kazuko Omori (Japonesa)

2 Matthew Golding (Canadiense)

SOLOISTS

1 Ashley Ellis (Americana)

2 Joseph Gatti (Americano)

3 Radev Kirill (Ruso)

CORPS

Boys

1 Ion Agirretxe Iglesias (Español)

2 Roberto Sánchez González (Español)

3 Ivan Sánchez González (Español)

4 Daniel Fajardo Villares (Español)

5 Russell Ducker (Inglés)

6 Toby Mallitt (Ingleé)

7 Zambello Pietro (Italiano)

8 Luca Giaccio (Italiano)

9 Yerlan Andagulov (Kazakhstan)

10 George Birkatze (Georgia)

11 Sergei D'yachkov (Ruso)

12 Denis D'yachkov (Ruso)

13 Yevgen Uzlenkov (Ruso)

14 Fernando Bufala (Español)

Girls

1 Neus Expósito Fernandez (Española)

2 Alba Cazorla Luengo (Española)

3 Georgia Molina González (Española)

4 Marta Ludevid Sanmarti (Española)

5 Ana Calderón (Española)

6 Andrea Palacios Fernández (Española)

7 Cristina Casa Gómez (Española)

8 Carla López Ponlla (Española)

9 Raquel Santamarta Rodríguez (Española)

10 Victoria Villanueva (Española)

11 Ana Cabral (Portuguesa)

12 Mª José Sales (Española)

13 Carrie Walsh (Inglesa)

14 Daisy Brodskis (Inglesa)

16 Andrea Estefanía Pumar (Argentina)

17 Tracy Jones (Irlandesa)

18 Alexandra Basmagy (Americana)

19 Yoko Callegari (Americana)

20 Irene Campillo (Española)

21 Irene Vaqueiro (Española )

22 Carolina Chico (Española )

23 María Sordo (Española )

APPRENTICES

1 Mirella Lorente (Española)

2 Greta Wright (Inglesa)

3 Silvia Inés Otero (Española)

4 Margarita Cuellar (Española)

Oh my God, it is so exiting for us :clapping:

Interesting! Big! And very international! Thanks, Carolina.

Many of us have a little knowledge about Carmen Corella and Adiarys Almeida. Can you tell us something about the Spanish female principal. Natallia Tapia?

Interesting! Big! And very international! Thanks, Carolina.

Many of us have a little knowledge about Carmen Corella and Adiarys Almeida. Can you tell us something about the Spanish female principal. Natallia Tapia?

You are welcome!

With pleasure, about her and a little bit more :)

Natalia Tapia: She was principal with Víctor Ullate, she danced the principal role in Edurado Lao’s “Coppelia” when Eri Nakamura (now soloist at “Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montreal”) was injured. Natalia also danced “The Dance of the Hours” of La Giocconda with Ángel at the Teatro Real, but only few days in substitution of Letizia Giuliani.

Radev Kirill: Was soloist at the Imperial Russian Ballet.

As far as for the corps, I know Mª José Sales and Fernando Bufalá both coming from the English National Ballet where they were Corps and First Artist or Soloist (don’t remember exactly). Also Cristina Casa, who trained at the ABT and danced with the ENB last season in Swan Lake at the London Coliseum. And Yevgen Uzlenkov was also principal with Víctor Ullate, he was “Franz” at Coppelia.

If I find out any further info I’ll tell you :clapping:

Thanks, Carolina. Didn't Corella also get a start with Ullate?

One of the most promising aspects of Corella's project is the commitment to preparing and giving more job opportunities to Spanish-born, Spanish-trained classical dancers. My count of the "Espanoles" and "Espanolas" in the list is:

Principals: 3 of 6, counting Corella himself

Male corps: 5 of 14

Female corps: 15 of 23

Apprentices: 3 of 4.

Not a bad start. :)

Thanks, Carolina. Didn't Corella also get a start with Ullate?

Yes, he did, he was one of that incredible troupe of dancers all at the same time in the company:

Angel Corella - ABT

Tamara Rojo – Royal Ballet

Joaquín de Luz - NYCB

Lucía Lacarra – Munich Opera Ballet

Ruth Miró – Bejart (now Lyon Opera Ballet, I think)

Víctor Jiménez - Bejart (now Lyon Opera Ballet, I think)

Ygor Yebra – Free Lance (now at the Bordeaux Opera Ballet)

María Giménez – She was dancer at the Ballet Nacional de Cuba

Ana Noya – She is still with Víctor

Marta Rodríguez Coca – ABT (now back in Spain)

Jesús Pastor – ABT (I think) and now back in Spain

And maybe I’m still missing some :)

I recall seeing Carlos Lopez, who later went to ABT. Somewhere I have my program of an evening that included Allegro Brillante. (I remember walking by a poster and noticing -- with surprise -- the Balanchine, so we bought a couple of tickets.) It was during the 1990s. I wonder whether a very young Corrella was part of the company at that time?

I recall seeing Carlos Lopez, who later went to ABT. Somewhere I have my program of an evening that included Allegro Brillante. (I remember walking by a poster and noticing -- with surprise -- the Balanchine, so we bought a couple of tickets.) It was during the 1990s. I wonder whether a very young Corrella was part of the company at that time?

You are right, also Carlos López was there. ¡What an amazing young troupe we had at that time! I remember a wonderful Giselle (even if Ángel had already left to join the ABT) :)