This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Excised Jewels choreography

In connection to the lost Emeralds Choreography topic that's also in this forum, I wonder if anyone would be willing to comment on choreographic changes in Jewels in general. For example, I know that the pas de sept was added in the 70s, but what else? Gillot talks about the 'original' Neary choreography, so how did it get changed along the way? Was it merely steps or was it also the styling?

Also, rather more in detail (and BT's search function is pretty useless), someone had talked about _mime_ in the Diamonds pas when it first premiered. Was there actually mime or a suggestion of it in the choreography? Was it Farrell to D'amboise or vice versa? Can anyone remember what it read?

Any information (especially in connection to the mime question) would be greatly appreciated.

i suspect what p.neary meant in her staging of RUBIES for paris was little things - accents, perhaps, and ways of performing that might be called 'stylistic' in some quarters and that she recalled doing when she danced the 'big girl' but that no longer seem to be done at nycb.

except for the changes and additions here and there, most notably the pas de sept, to EMERALDS, balanchine doesn't seem to have made many changes in JEWELS overall.

have you checked the balanchine catalogue on line? the annotations to the entries there tend to be accurate and thorough.

i don't recall any commentary about mime in DIAMONDS, which doesn't mean there isn't any here on ballettalk, and as i didn't see the ballet until 70, w/o farrell by that time, i certainly never saw any pantomime between the ballerina and her cavalier.

i do know there was some discussion of the mime no longer extant in BALLET IMPRERIAL, a.k.a. TCHAIKOVSKY PIANO CONCERTO NO. 2, but someone else may be able to direct you to such a discussion.

in any case if you don't have the address, the balanchine catalogue on line can be accessed at:

www.balanchine.org

click on catalogue tab at the top of the home page and then scroll down the introduction page to 'click here to begin'

good luck.

Nothing after looking through the balanchine catalogue. There are notations about changes to Emeralds primarily but nothing else.

It must have been sometime last year or the year before - someone on BT had commented on mime in Balanchine (was it popularlibrary, perhaps?) and somehow there was discussion of d'Amboise miming something to Farrell in the Diamonds pas - had it disappeared after the first season? I cannot remember and fear that this may be a misremembering (I do remember talk of mime in other places), but it is quite an *odd* misremembering.

w/ any luck others will recall the post(s) you are looking for and shed light on this point.

as i say, the balanchine cat. isn't w/o it's slip-ups but it's quite good and accurate overall, and i suspect if there was something significant regarding mime in DIAMONDS a note would have been included, but the post you're looking for may attest to the fact that catalogue's DIAMONDS notes need expanding.

if d'amboise national dance institute (if i've got the name accurately) has a 'contact us' email you might try emailing that address to see if you can reach d'amboise w/ your question.

as i say, the balanchine cat. isn't w/o it's slip-ups but it's quite good and accurate overall, and i suspect if there was something significant regarding mime in DIAMONDS a note would have been included, but the post you're looking for may attest to the fact that catalogue's DIAMONDS notes need expanding.

I urge all to use the "contact us" feature of the Balanchine cat. if you notice mistakes or omissions and also to express your wishes about what you think should be included here. Assume nothing; this is a huge undertaking that the BC is taking on and I imagine that they might welcome assistance. I think the bar can be set very high in terms of the level and variety of detail that can be included here. Why not encourage them, for instance, to include a section, a la Reperetory in Review but much expanded in terms of sources, of reflections from people who saw particular performances? Dancer interviews? Musical score notations (i.e., what got kept and cut)? Dance notations, where they exist? And links to audio and video, eventually? The possibilities are--or should be--endless; the powers-that-be should think about enlisting engaged balletomanes in contributing. It worked for the Oxford English Dictionary.

It must have been sometime last year or the year before - someone on BT had commented on mime in Balanchine (was it popularlibrary, perhaps?) and somehow there was discussion of d'Amboise miming something to Farrell in the Diamonds pas - had it disappeared after the first season? I cannot remember and fear that this may be a misremembering (I do remember talk of mime in other places), but it is quite an *odd* misremembering.

I'd say last year. I remember it too but I can't remember what thread it was on either. So basically my reply has no point except to say you aren't misremembering, the discussion did happen.