This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I've been watching my Giselle tapes with my new copy of Ballet 101 open in order to learn names of steps etc. (What a joy this book is). On my copies of Lord of the Rings and Pride and Prejudice , Peter jackson and Joe Wilson have a commentary selection. One can watch the film and listen to the director's commentary, a great learning tool for film buffs and students. How good it would be to have a similar path on Ballet DVDs with someone as learned as Mr Greskovic or others on this site, commenting on each ballet? Does anyone have influence with Decca or Opus Arte? Or has it been done? On my copy of the Sleeping Beauty by Het Nationale Ballet, there are some documentaries with Sir Peter Wright discussing his aims and intentions, but I think a dedicated commentary would be so much more useful. One could watch the Ballet as intended or watch it with commentary. How do other people think on this?

I like it! But I think there's a very limited market. It probably could be done for a very small cost, though.

Have you seen the Ballet Dictionary on ABT's website? There are significant omissions, IMO -- demonstrating every step might be impossible -- but it gives good basic info to familiarize yourself with much of the vocabulary.

Thanks Carbro, I do look at those demonstrations - I still get a lot of it confused tho, and I think that there is nothing quite like seeing it in relation to a real ballet - to actually see for example that the Wilis leave with 2 jetes dessous followed by grande jetes en avant en attitude, makes it work for me. I guess it would be a limited market but then i think of all those little ones out there learning their steps -maybe an ideal Chrissie present for the teenage set - Commentary on the Nutcracker!. I am constantly surprised though to find how difficult it is to get ballet DVDs so perhaps the demand is slow. ( Perhaps a small demand in Australia because there's not such a huge audience as US or Europe) If it comes to that the demand for commentary on film is probably limited - it was only Peter Jacksons determination to record the whole process on LOTR that made it happen (I think that was great because he recorded the workers as well as the stars.)

I think this would be a wonderful idea even if it was only done for one ballet like Giselle. There could be two optional commentaries - one perhaps focusing just on the steps and another like John Neumeier has on the dvd of his Illusions like Swan Lake where he discusses the production as it unfolds.

I like it too! As for educational/training purposes, this would probably work best for ballets that have one more or less "standard" version. Giselle would fit this category I imagine. Although there are thousands of potential Nutcracker buyers, there are also many versions of the story and choreography being performed out there, from grand stages to small studios. Which version would one present? How useful would this be to students involved in significantly different productions?

It's not ballet, but John Muller, whose book on Astaire and Rogers goes into great detail about the choreography, recorded a commentary track for Swing Time, as well as appearing in an interview in another part of the special features menu. I'm not sure if the DVD is available separately, but it's part of a box set that also includes Top at, Follow the Fleet, Shall We Dance, and The Barkleys of Broadway.

The commentaries ideas would work with bart's idea of a single, "standard" version. The problem today is that the most revolutionary thing a company could do for a modern audience is an Old! Unimproved! Swan Lake or Giselle. Fortunately, the latter has stayed pretty much intact from the 1884 revival by Petipa, but commentarists could go on for a very long time about the distinctive uses of arabesque in each, and that's only one step/pose!

It's not ballet but Tamasaburo's DVDs might be a good example of the kind commentary that you're proposing whetherwax. Someone has uploaded clips on youtube with the english commentary track on (to check it out type tamasaburo and click on Sagi musume)

Regarding ballet dvds, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the commentary on Gaitee Parisienne. In addition to Frederick Franklin's commentary while the ballet runs, there are secondary subtitles that clue you in to what is happening and who is dancing ("the baron is flirting with the glove seller", "Leon Danilian" etc) Also there's an extra 40minutes long interview with Franklin with more stories and anecdotes, a feature explaining how G.P. was shot and stitched together, as well as a complete filmography. A well produced title.

I'm not sure I agree that commentaries would only work with standard versions. It's the unusual and non canonical things that most need commenting upon imho - to explain the rationale behind them and also set the record straight regarding their being unusual or non canonical.

Does anyone have influence with Decca or Opus Arte?

From personal experience I can tell you that if you write to Opus Arte they will take your suggestions seriously. Last year, after watching their POB Swan Lake - a dvd with a few unfortunate video editing choices - I got a bit irritated and ended up emailing them to propose dvds with different angles (the obvious solution to the close shot / wide shot dilemma that plagues all dance videos) By lunch time next day, Ferenc Van Damme, producer of the Jewels DVD, had emailed me with a very nice and detailed account of their thoughts on the matter (they were already considering it), pros and cons, difficulties etc. To this day I'm amazed that someone high up in Opus Arte found the time to write a detailed six paragraphs long message to a random client with a suggestion. I expected an automated reply or at most a copy/pasted "thank you for your suggestion blah blah blah" message.

:( Unfortunately this unusual response somehow ended up in my spam folder where I discovered it about five months later - by which time it was too late to send any kind of relevant reply or thank you note - although I very much wanted to thank him - both for taking the time to consider the suggestion and for the detailed response.

Which makes this a public thank you note I guess :flowers:

So, anyway, back to the topic, write and ask for commentaries!