This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ives Songs

I just have to say that anyone who can should go see Ives Songs -- it's the middle ballet in the American Songs program at NYCB this final two weeks. It got an extraordinary performance tonight, so well sung, the songs themselves in the German Lieder tradition, the singer's diction in English such that you could understand the program as you watched, and the company looking just so beautiful in it from top to bottom. Throughout a large cast. I think it's one of Robbins' best ballets, terribly dark and moving, with Jerry at the peak of his powers as a dramatist, and working in his influenced by Robert Wilson mode. I'll eventually have to write about this so I think I'll shut up now, other than to recommend it to one and all. Michael Popkin

I am scheduled to see this tomorrow night and look forward to it. I've seen it at least half-a-dozen times over the years and don't disagree with Michael's description of it as "terribly dark and moving." But it is also filled with charm and nostalgia for a bygone America. The early scenes in particular are almost Norman Rockwellian in their sunny "morning in America" quality. But things do turn tragic soon enough, and I am thrilled to hear it is getting such a good performance.