This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I happened upon this piece as I was channel surfing in Vermont over Christmas. It was on that weird Arts Showcase channel that we have up in Vermont but not here in NY. What a treat to come upon it so unexpectedly. And now that I've had the pleasure of hearing Freddie Franklin speak at the Works & Process even I look forward to watching it again. Thanks for the heads up!

Barbara, we do have Classic Arts Showcase in New York. You can find it on CUNY-TV (Ch. 75) at midnight, 11 am and 5 pm weekdays, and overnight (1 or 2 am until, I think, 6 am). Chs. 21 (WLIW) and 25 (NYCTV) also used to carry it.

All channel numbers are Time-Warner, so if your cable supplier is someone else, they might be different.

Here's the schedule page. You can check by choosing "Classic Arts" on the pull-down "Show Title" menu.

Set your video recorders, because it's (naturally) slotted for an obscure hour.

Naturally. In prime time, of course, you can see The Bridge on the River Kwai and Now, Voyager over and over and over, and eventually you start getting annoyed at movies you like.

The TCM search function brings up a 20-minute "short" at 5:36AM. Am I confusing this with "Gaite Parisienne", the 1954 Victor Jessen film available on VAI 4384? Yours truly, "Confused in Chicago"
Why is it confusing? Isn't merely a poor translation?

Now you're starting to confuse me, Jack! :speechless-smiley-003:

Barbara, we do have Classic Arts Showcase in New York. You can find it on CUNY-TV (Ch. 75) at midnight, 11 am and 5 pm weekdays, and overnight (1 or 2 am until, I think, 6 am). Chs. 21 (WLIW) and 25 (NYCTV) also used to carry it.

All channel numbers are Time-Warner, so if your cable supplier is someone else, they might be different.

Here's the schedule page. You can check by choosing "Classic Arts" on the pull-down "Show Title" menu.

Glad you brought up Classic Arts Showcase, which I've often enjoyed. Just found early info on it and its excellent founder, Lloyd Rigler.

http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/timesArtic.html

His 2003 obituary is also interesting. I think I used to see it also on Channel 31, as well as Susan Jaffe's 'Dance New York', but not sure. Did Jaffe do this after her retirement in 2002 (I think) and for just a year or so? I saw lots of good things on it and she was a lovely host.

The TCM search function brings up a 20-minute "short" at 5:36AM. Am I confusing this with "Gaite Parisienne", the 1954 Victor Jessen film available on VAI 4384? Yours truly, "Confused in Chicago"

The Victor Jessen film is edited together from live performances from the forties to 1954. All performances have Danilova, Franklin and Massine. However the Flower Seller morphs into different ballerinas sometimes in mid-pirouette. Danilova's hair style changes frequently and by the later footage is noticeably middle-aged. It is on VAI and is a black and white amateur composite filming that runs 37 minutes.

This film is a color Hollywood short that runs about 20 minutes and stars Mlada Mladova instead of Danilova.

Very likely Mladova was used because she was younger and more photogenic. Frankly, a lot of the choreography is gutted and only the can-can survives mostly intact. The direction is too fussy and arty and it is not a satisfying film.

There is another contemporary short called "Spanish Fiesta" I believe and that has Danilova.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165957/

That I would like to see restored. Let's send some e-mails to Turner Classic Movies!

Thanks so much Carbro. This short film, 'Gay Parisian' and its companion piece, 'Spanish Fiesta' was my introduction to ballet long before I actually saw a live performance. My older sister took me to see many foreign movies on the old 42nd Street and in between Louis Jouvet, Danielle Darrieux, Grace Moore and Jean-Louis Barrault there would be another showing of these two short Warner Bros. films. I saw them many times; but the one to see, really is 'Spanish Fiesta' with a marvelous Massine. My DVD will be ready to record.

A-a-a-gh! I had the date wrong---I thought today was the 2nd-----missed it again.