This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sylve gone from NYCB Roster as of 1/1/08

Was wandering around the newly revised NYCB website, to see what the new design would look like, etc., and discovered that Sofiane Sylve is no longer listed as a dancer with the NYCB.

[since we no longer have a forum grouping by company (boo, hiss, etc.), this was the only place I could find to post this info. Sorry if it's in the wrong place.]

Was wandering around the newly revised NYCB website, to see what the new design would look like, etc., and discovered that Sofiane Sylve is no longer listed as a dancer with the NYCB.

[since we no longer have a forum grouping by company (boo, hiss, etc.), this was the only place I could find to post this info. Sorry if it's in the wrong place.]

Oh no! I just checked too. Some of her best picture at her website are NYCB.

I find Hubbe as exciting as white bread and mayo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_cross_buns

I was unsure from this entry whether this was a form of white bread.

But, according to Julia Child, 'mayo......, like hollandaise, is a process of forcing egg yolks to absorb a fatty substance, oil in this case, and to hold it in thick and creamy suspension.'

She's not talking about Miracle Whip, is she? Even I've had homemade mayonnaise.

:thanks: as were several others, but while I'm sorry to hear about Sylve too, much sorrier that Hubbe's leaving. He was the most exciting dancer in the company.

I've written to the contact on Sylve's website. Let's see if there's a response. This is when companies' publicity departments irk me. How hard would it have been to have on the news page "Ms. Sylve has left NYCB in order to pursue opportunities elsewhere. We wish her luck in the future" instead of just slipping her name off the site?

>...much sorrier that Hubbe's leaving. He was the most

>exciting dancer...

And Nikolaj Hubbe showed us last night in Zakouski how very sorely he will be missed at NYCB. A strenuous pas de deux, with lots of tricky partnering, Nikolaj performed his part in top form with all the high energy, sexy, masculine power he is well known for. NYCB's Elvis, many of us say...

Sofiane Sylve having left NYCB was devastingly bad news.

I've written to the contact on Sylve's website. Let's see if there's a response. This is when companies' publicity departments irk me. How hard would it have been to have on the news page "Ms. Sylve has left NYCB in order to pursue opportunities elsewhere. We wish her luck in the future" instead of just slipping her name off the site?

Such random acts of civility elude most major ballet companies, alas. Refined bodies, crass minds and manners!

I don't know about "most major ballet companies," but I haven't expected acts of civility, random or otherwise, from NYCB, since 1993.

True enough! Funny, though: I misread "1993" at first as 1933!

1933 saw an act of extreme ballet civility -- the founding in Paris of Les Ballets 1933 by Edward James as a gift to his wife, the dancer Tilly Losch. Just to clarify -- I was born in 1932.

Sofiane Sylvie has an air of confidence and competance, a solidity and a strength that is very, very distinctive. She was a rare flower in our soil, and I for one will miss her sparkle and verve. There are many causes for her departure that one can speculate about, but I guess we'll never know the real reasons. For some reason the world of ballet chooses to be very opaque.