This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet in Nature

Ballet is a rather structured and rigorous artform which is performed on a stage in front of an audience with live or recorded music, sets and so forth in "set pieces" which are choreographed, costumes and sets and all. We all love this.

But I was thinking, you have these trained dancers with all this "energy" in their body and do they have just let loose somewhere like a mountain top, or a gorgeous valley, under a sunset... along the seaside. I would think that the beauty of nature might inspire some dancers to dance almost spontaneously. Do they ever? Or are they only wind up and release on a stage?

I suppose that former dancers and choreographers might know of this, as it would be rather private. But I can't imagine someone who has all that movement energy wouldn't aside from their formal settings. Or do they let loose at a disco or something?

Any clues?

We dance spontaneously all the time. :sweatingbullets: Many ballet dancers love to go to dance clubs when they have the time and energy. As a student, I was once out with my friends in Vail, CO, and did a grand jeté over a puddle, and people sitting at a nearby sidewalk café applauded--I hadn't thought anyone would notice!

Reading the article "Jose Manuel Carreno" from Dance Magazine, March, 2004 by Valerie Gladstone, i found some answers to your questions, SanderO. Look.

I would think that the beauty of nature might inspire some dancers to dance almost spontaneously. Do they ever?

"I [JMC]can't separate myself from music. First thing in the morning, I turn on the radio for music, and if it's salsa, I start dancing."

Or do they let loose at a disco or something?

"Bounding onto the stage as Acteon, he [JMC] slows to perform a series of pirouettes, only to follow them with aerial barrel turns that provoke audience cheers. After such a display of classical eloquence, it is amusing to see him later on a crowded dance floor in Havana, wearing T-shirt and slacks, rolling his hips and snapping his fingers to the salsa."

That's my cubano!!! :sweatingbullets:

But I was thinking, you have these trained dancers with all this "energy" in their body and do they have just let loose somewhere like a mountain top, or a gorgeous valley, under a sunset... along the seaside.
Chicken or egg? Some people seek training because they must dance? Or must they dance because they've been trained? I think people become dancers because they are naturally inclined to dance spontaneously or casually and want to take it to higher levels.
I think people become dancers because they are naturally inclined to dance spontaneously or casually and want to take it to higher levels.

I think so too. From the same article of Dance Magazine, this is what Mme. Alonso has to say about the subject and JMC.

"I remember him lying on the floor, watching class, his eyes fascinated," Alonso says in Born to Be Wild. "He'd put his little hands under his chin and study everything. I think he was a dancer before he was born. He was a winner, I knew."

All I can say is that I always do what I feel. And I love nature, I feel most alive when I am surrounded by it. So when a beautful breeze kisses my cheek, I spread my arms up and out, lifting my ribs and just twirl around, or pretend I am flying with it; my hands and arms would be in ballet-related positions and movements.

I know when I'm at the beach I would dance right by the shore, actually, moving to the flow of the water.

I guess I might get the same feeling inside when I dance to a favorite piece as to when I view the sunset, my favorite nature scene. But when I am out in nature, I don't dance so structured. I won't hit a arabesque on the spot, I'm not going to just stand in a tight fifth position, and I surely wouldn't try my hardest on steps like I'm in class. Being out in nature is peaceful, so I will express that with movements and expressions that reflect my emotions. It's like it flows through me more. I just feel free and dance like I'm free.

Why we don't do this on stage so much is probably because we have a reason to be there and we have to think! Out in nature you do what you want, and like you say, it's spontaneous! And that feels so good! When there's a breeze, I move like the wind. When I'm touching water, I reflect the flow of the waves. When I watch the sunset, I melt on the inside like I do when I dance to music. And on stage, it's choreographed. ---i mean, this is how i feel on the inside and how i feel when i move sometimes. I don't go to the beach and literally act like a wave, or run around pretending I'm air.--

(and of course there's artistic expression, etc. but it's definitely not the same to be under structure and conformity and doing as you please in the beauty of nature...)

... and at the disco it's all about the music and the beat, again, moving to how you feel; freedom of expression, i guess.