This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kathryn Morgan

drb

On 4/15/2019 at 3:34 PM, balletforme said:

wow! that's great!  What rank? 

I was thinking the same thing.  What rank will they give her?  She got to soloist at NYCB...

There is nothing yet on the MCB website, so we'll just have to wait...

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of a story like this.  So inspiring, and so awesome that Miami City Ballet took her in as a *soloist* even after so many years offstage.  It's no secret she worked so hard for this, it's great to see a story of hard work paying off as well as it did here.

I do hope she'll be able to continue her vlog once she joins the company, though I can understand if it'll be limited in the future.

3 hours ago, Emma said:

I'm hopeful her blog will continue: MCB did cite that she has 152,000 instagram followers in its press release.

Most people write their own bios.  I could be wrong but 9 times out of 10 the bio you read has been drafted by the dancer and then approved by PR. 

Ok people. I'll be reporting. We all know she will be under a microscope. If anything, I believe she'll benefit from the general atmosphere of MCB, where mutual help, camaraderie and lack of drama has been the norm for years.

MERDE to you, Kathryn!

Edited to add: MCB has never been a "stick thin" ballerinas company, nor tall ones. She will fit right in, aesthetically speaking.

Edited by cubanmiamiboy

CNN's just published a great article about Morgan's journey away from and back to the stage. 

In the fall of 2014, ballet dancer Kathryn Morgan thought her comeback arc was almost complete.

Once a soloist at New York City Ballet with an auspicious future, she was forced to leave the company in 2012, felled by an autoimmune disease that saw her hair fall out, her weight rise and her balance disappear.

Two years later, however, she convinced herself she was ready to return to the stage. She told fans on her YouTube channel that she'd be performing again by the spring. She gave motivational interviews to the New York Times and Teen Vogue, telling the latter, "If you don't get something, you have to keep going, just because you love it."

"It was wishful thinking," she told CNN last month, five years after she first announced her comeback.

What Morgan initially believed would be a few months of recovery became a nine-year ordeal: of doctors who dismissed her, of surrendering a dream, of personal turmoil and a life repeatedly upended. And, now, as she prepares to return to ballet on her own terms, a rebirth, one worthy of the swans and spirits and sleeping beauties she'd danced on stage.

Some nuggets: Morgan had to go to eight (!) different doctors to get her correct diagnosis of Hashimoto's disease; by 2017, she hadn't intended to return to the professional stage or to a professional career; there's still a risk of relapse, so Morgan's planning to take her career in Miami "one day at a time." The whole thing's a good read!

On 6/19/2019 at 12:54 PM, balletforme said:

The jury is still out. We haven't seen her dance. . . . 

But Lopez did!  That's good enough for me!  Quote from CNN article link above- "I don't want to say she got her talent back, because I don't think she ever lost it," Lopez said.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:36 AM, Josette said:

MCB isn't the jury? 

I'm with Josette on this one.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:22 PM, balletforme said:

The paying audience is the jury IMO. 

I can't wait to see this beautiful ballerina dance again.

Obviously the A.D. makes the decisions about who is dancing for the company. If for some reason a dancer looked particularly 'displeasing' to the audience there would probably be some bad press, but the A.D. is still likely to notice the issue long before the audience does - and do something about it.

Edited by pherank
1 hour ago, pherank said:

Obviously the A.D. makes the decisions about who is dancing for the company. If for some reason a dancer looked particularly 'displeasing' to the audience there would probably be some bad press, but the A.D. is still likely to notice the issue long before the audience does - and do something about it.

I agree

Yes Vagansmom. . . . Yes.  PR and other things sometimes do win the day. 

I do look forward to seeing Morgan on the stage.  She shares that soloist rank with several very talented folks.  It will inspire her for sure. 

Edited by balletforme