This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Toronto's Sun TV, available Canada-wide via satellite television, will be airing Nutcracker: The Motion Picture, featuring the Pacific Northwest Ballet, on Sunday, December 23, at 8:00 p.m. ET (...just as TFO is airing the POB's Swan Lake, and some PBS affiliates are showing the Royal Ballet's Nutcracker. Does any of this sound familiar?)

http://suntv.canoe.ca/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?...es&s=movies

The ballet is airing right now (7:00 p.m. ET) on Hamilton's CHCH (Bell ch. 218, Shaw Direct ch. 345). My apologies for not posting sooner, but the TV listings had promised the film of Balanchine's production, which, unlike this film, is readily available on DVD.

The PNB's version will also re-air on Victoria's CHEK on Tuesday, December 22, at 8:00 p.m. PT.

[Edited to add:] Assuming the advertising about the Balanchine version is an error, CHCH will re-air Stowell's version on Christmas Day at 1:30 p.m. ET.

You know, we never see it on television here in Seattle.

It's a great pity that this version isn't more widely available.

My mother is music teacher in a large elementary school, and for years she's been conducting an informal experiment for me. Every year, once Christmas concerts are over, she pulls out a video of "The Nutcracker" to show her pupils. She tells me that the Stowell/Sendak version is by far the biggest hit among the kids.

:bow:Nutcracker: The Motion Picture

Bought it and downloading now. Can't wait. Watched the trailer and it looks magnificent. Looks even more stunning than the Balanchine version was.

PS. Don't mind the info. Amazon got confused when they listed the movie. :rofl:

Thanks for the link -- I didn't realize that Amazon was selling this on their download service -- it's been a topic of discussion that it hasn't been available commercially for awhile.

I thought it was a bit disconcerting that, in the voice-over promotion in the trailer, they list the director, the designer, and the composer, but not the choreographer...