This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Massine/Berlioz 'Symphonie Fantastique' by POB

Could any of our knowledgeable readers please shed light on what appears to be a recent DVD release of Massine's 'Symphonie Fantastique'? I found it listed on this Brazilian site (6th item down), with small photo of the DVD's cover:

http://web.sercomtel.com.br/clubeballet/dvd.htm

However, does not seem to have been released in France yet (not on amazon.com.fr). Does anyone know where this has been released?

Sounds very promising. :)

Natalia, I think this is not an entirely legal site. Several of the dvds they offer have never been on dvd afaik. For example the Makarova Giselle, Green Table or Feya Kukol (which btw, is not with Larissa Lezhnina and has nothing to do with Markitenka - they seem to have taken the info from the Kirov Classics disk that contains a Feya Kukol excerpt). The Guillem doc which sounds like the Guillem South Bank documentary has been issued in Japan but not with this cover. Others seem like weird compilations. For example the "GALA THEATER CHAMPS ELYSÈE" which has been broadcast on arte and was issued as a dvd in Japan has among its contents several pieces with Alessandra Ferri that come from another arte program, the tribute to Ferri. Seems to me like someone in Brazil decided to put their ballet collection to use. I'd stay away and keep my credit card data away too.

Considering all the above I think the Symphonie Fantastic must be the 1996 video with Gaida and Belarbi. That video has been broadcast a few times on sat TV in recent years and perhaps that's where those responsible for this site got it from.

Wow, thanks for the info, Chrisk217. I would not have guessed, as most of these DVDs are known. The inclusion of real-looking DVD 'covers' certainly fooled me. [somebody in Brazil has some gall! ] Well, since so many old & new POB programs have eventually made it onto DVD, perhaps the '96 telecast of 'Symphonie Fantastique' will be one of those that eventually makes it to stores in legitimate fashion.

re. Japanese 'Stars of the 21st C Gala 2005' - upon reading this Brazilian site, it bugged me that my 'Japanese version' was incomplete, e.g., not including the pdd's by Lacarra/Pierre (even though we can see those two dancers in the backstage scenes on the Japanese DVD!). At least it's nice to know that a film of the full concert exists somewhere.

re. Feya Kukol - This did not seem odd since a ca-1992 complete telecast of the Vaganova Academy's performance of the ballet was availalble on Russian commercial VHS for a short while. However, Lezhnina did not dance in that telecast, as she was already a star in the main company.

it bugged me that my 'Japanese version' was incomplete, e.g., not including the pdd's by Lacarra/Pierre (even though we can see those two dancers in the backstage scenes on the Japanese DVD!)

The broadcast did include the parts with Lacarra but left out other parts for example the adagio from the Don Q pdd with Feijoo and Boada. Overall it was a strange video - not least because of the horrific editing. I've come across another video of La Prisonierre with Lacarra (with Broeckx(sp?)) that is much better editing-wise. It was in a Petit program that might crop up as a dvd in Japan someday (as a few similar programs already have)

re. Feya Kukol - This did not seem odd since a ca-1992 complete telecast of the Vaganova Academy's performance of the ballet was availalble on Russian commercial VHS for a short while. However, Lezhnina did not dance in that telecast, as she was already a star in the main company.

:) but since we mentioned it, I was wondering if you know who is who in Feya Kukol. I'm terrible with faces (esp faces with doll makeup on!) Are there any future well known Kirov/Mariinsky dancers in that video?