This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kirov DVD with Fokine's Carnaval, etc. released

It's listed on Amazon.com, for a remarkable $17. Includes 'Carnaval' and 'Egyptian Nights' by the Kirov; Tchaikovsky's 'Romeo & Juliet Overture' by the Choreographic Miniatures troupe of St.P. Perhaps this is another in the recent line of reissues of 1980s USSR telecasts? I am guessing that the 'Egyptian Nights' is the ca-1988 telecast with Assylmuratova/Ruzimatov/Kullik/Kim that I bought in Russia a few years ago; quite lovely. Can anyone shed any light on any Kirov 'Carnaval' that may have been telecast in the 70s or 80s? I'd love to know who dances it.

The DVD was recently released in the UK in PAL format and I did find the following advert for it:

http://www.crotchet.co.uk/IMM960017.html?id=CyvJJgB8

The DVD on amazon.com *is* NTSC.

p.s. - This is a very timely release, given that the Kirov-Mariinsky Ballet is in the process of reviving Fokine's 'Carnaval' for the 2008 Mariinsky Ballet Festival. A shame that the Kirov could not perform 'Carnaval' in the April '08 NY City Center season. I can only imagine an Evgenia Obraztsova as Colombine or Leonid Sarafanov as Pierrot, for example!

Can anyone shed any light on any Kirov 'Carnaval' that may have been telecast in the 70s or 80s? I'd love to know who dances it.

The cast of Carnaval is:

Colombine: Irina Shapchits

Arlekin: Sergei Vikharev

Pierrot: Vladimir Balybin

Pantalone: Valentin Onoshko

Babochka: Margarita Kulik

Also: Valentina Ganibalova, Alexandra Grivnina, Vadim Desnitsky, Yuri Zukhov

Filmed in 1986

Thank you, chrisk. I received the DVD soon after having posed my question back in early December. It's of a 1986 telecast of a staging by Dudinskaya & Sergeyev. Ironically, the most recent -- two weeks ago -- staging of this ballet at the Kirov-Mariinsky is by the guy who danced Harlequin in that '86 telecast-DVD, Sergei Vikharev.

By all accounts, Vikharev's recent staging is much closer to the Fokine original, taking place in a Biedermeier salon rather than the outdoor garden seen in the DVD.