This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pedagogues at the Paris Opera Ballet School

Hi all!

I was reading with interest at the different pedagogues at Vaganova and Bolshoi on this thread (so fascinating!), and I was wondering, in the time Vaganova was teaching in Russia, who was busy teaching at the Paris Opera Ballet school? After having read up on Bejart and Petit (with the recent news of Bejarts death :dunno: ), I was just wondering who they were taught by. I looked for books, but I couldn't find any available on campus or at the bookstore...and Google wasn't cooperating. If you know anything, I'd greatly appreciate the chance to learn more!

Thanks so much!

The Paris Opera Ballet by Ivor Guest should have all the information you are looking for. If you cannot find it at your library or on sale locally, try the following:

http://www.dancebooks.co.uk

Thank you very much! I found a new favorite website :D Unfortunately, with the exchange rate of the dollar being so miserable lately, I think that I'd better shelve plans to buy any and all books.

ngitanjali

The Paris Opera Ballet by Ivor Guest should have all the information you are looking for. If you cannot find it at your library or on sale locally, try the following:

http://www.dancebooks.co.uk

Thank you very much! I found a new favorite website :D Unfortunately, with the exchange rate of the dollar being so miserable lately, I think that I'd better shelve plans to buy any and all books.

ngitanjali

Another good source for books is Alibris.com. They act as clearing house for a lot of small booksellers. You may be able to find a copy there from a US dealer

and the weak dollar may have much less impact.

There is also another dealer called Sam's books. (I don't remember the url for this one though) They operate as Alibris does.

Two more sources, although these are more limited in what they have, are Ebay and Amazon Marketplace.

Hope you are able to find the book in one of these spots.

Actually I'm not sure that Guest's books mentions the POB school teachers that much (it focuses on the company itself), even though it's a very interesting book...

Béjart wasn't a student of the POB school, he never danced with the POB... From a Times obituary: "Born Maurice-Jean Berger in Marseilles in 1927, he was educated at the lycée there and extended his mind by avidly reading the books in the library of his father, a professor of philosophy. He also "began ballet classes at the Marseilles Opera, making his inauspicious debut as (by his own account) a weedy-looking grub crawling out of an apple in Le Festin de l'araignée. As a teenager he first tried his hand at choreography with a solo for himself, Petit Page. Moving to Paris, he furthered his studies with some of the best ballet teachers including Lubov Egorova, Madame Rousanne (whom he lovingly depicted in his ballet Gaite Parisienne) and, later in London, Vera Volkova."

Other obituaries also mention Leo Staats among his teachers.

Madame Rousanne was a very influential teacher (I think he studied with her in the 1940s or 1950s) and the list of her students also included Jean Babilée, Roland Petit and Pierre Lacotte.

At the Paris Opera, I think that Gustave Ricaux and Albert Aveline were very influential teachers.

Another good source for books is Alibris.com. They act as clearing house for a lot of small booksellers. You may be able to find a copy there from a US dealer

and the weak dollar may have much less impact.

There is also another dealer called Sam's books.

Oopps! No wonder I couldn't come up with the url for "Sam's books"

It's actually "Abe's Books" Where did I ever pull the name "Sam" from? Bad

Hope you are able to find the book in one of these spots.