This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

:bow: Teatro Lirico D'Europa, here, is coming to a city very close to me in late winter. They will be performing "La Traviata" which I would love to see. Does anyone know how good the company is? I know that, in ballet, there are a couple touring companies whose performances I'd just as soon skip.
:bow: Teatro Lirico D'Europa, here, is coming to a city very close to me in late winter. They will be performing "La Traviata" which I would love to see. Does anyone know how good the company is? I know that, in ballet, there are a couple touring companies whose performances I'd just as soon skip.

As I understand it, this group is pretty much a touring company; they have appeared here in NJ a couple of times. They don't employ much in the way of name singers, the goal is to get to areas where live operas are not often seen.

I've never seenone of their performances but they could perhaps been a good "first opera" company and develop more audience interest.

So if you want to see Traviata it might well be a good deal for you . If you do go, why not report back on the performance. I've only heard a few reports, both critics and audience and would like to hear more.

I saw an Aida (Boca Raton) and a Traviata (West Palm Beach) several years ago. Most of the singers and musicians were from Bulgaria. The performances were solid, basic, competent and and conventional -- simply but tastefully produced -- and mostly faithful to score and libretto. Kind of what you might see in a smaller opera house in Eastern Europe.

My main memory of the Aida was their attempt to replicate a Triumphal March with 6 young girl dancers and a single, very slender young man. Traviata was much better and actually quite enjoyable, even for someone who had seen this many times.

I know people living in Portland, Maine, who are thrilled by the arrival of this company once a year, because without it they would not have the chance to see live "grand" opera locally. It's a big occasion, and the audiences are very appreciative.

So it really depends on where you live and what your alternatives are in that area. If you haven't seen the wonderful HD-Live performances from the Met, they might offer an alternative or at least a supplement. They are "live" in the sense that they are coming to your local movie theater at the same time they are being performed on stage at the Met. The audience is excited and enthralled, and there's applause during the performances and at the curtain calls. You really forget that you're watching a screen.

The performances are also "live" in the sense of being remarkably vital -- camera work and sound are astonishingly good, And they are performances and singers from the very top of the world opera pyramid.

:) Teatro Lirico D'Europa, here, is coming to a city very close to me in late winter. They will be performing "La Traviata" which I would love to see. Does anyone know how good the company is? I know that, in ballet, there are a couple touring companies whose performances I'd just as soon skip.

As I understand it, this group is pretty much a touring company; they have appeared here in NJ a couple of times. They don't employ much in the way of name singers, the goal is to get to areas where live operas are not often seen.

I've never seenone of their performances but they could perhaps been a good "first opera" company and develop more audience interest.

So if you want to see Traviata it might well be a good deal for you . If you do go, why not report back on the performance. I've only heard a few reports, both critics and audience and would like to hear more.

Yes, please do, vagansmom. Thanks for posting!

I also hope that you'll report your decision, vagansmom -- and your impressions of the performance if you attend. Their Traviata was worth attending.

As a plug for the Met's HD/Live series, here's the performance schedule:

Dec. 15 Romeo et Juliette (Gounod) Villazon, Netrebko. Conductor: Domingo.

Jan 1 Hansel and Gretel (Humperdinck) Shafer, Coote. Conductor: Levine. New production.

Jan 12 Macbeth (Verdi) Lucic, Guleghina. Conductor: Levine. New production

Feb. 16 Manon Lescaut (Puccini) Mattila, Giordani. Conductor: Levine.

Mar 15 Peter Grimes (Britten) Conductor: Runnicles New production.

Mar 22 Tristan und Isolde (Wagner). Heppner, Voight. Conductor: Levine.

April 5 La Boheme (Puccini) Gheorghiu, Vargas. Conductor: Luisotti.

April 26 La Fille du Regiment (Donizetti). Dessay, Florez. Conductor: Armiliato.

All performances start at either 1 or 1:30, but people arrive VERY early to get the best seats. To check theater locations, contact http://www.metopera.org/hdlive