This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Projects for Christmas....what to dance?

Talking about Christmas projects...I have to perform something as I'm invited in a school of dance in town as guest....I can bring anything,a pas de deux a variation.....whatever i want.I have no big ideas actually.I wanted to bring "Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux" as it's not too difficult to prepare it on my own.Could be an idea of pas de deux.Raymonda pas de deux is another possibility.I wanted to bring a piece that's easy to put together without a coach,as I don't need to show off too much in this occasion;i was also looking for a pas de deux that is not very often performed(i hate commercial things;-)).I was wondering if Midsummer Night's Dream pas de deux is a nice one.I seem to have forgotten about this ballet.If you have advices about a possibility please tell me.Then i was looking for a kind of PDD for two men.Something like Béjart or something like "My Way" performed by Simkin father and son.It was a project with a friend of mine, a very good dancer but i have no ideas and no time to invent the choreography from scratch.I have the gift of very open legs,especially the left one,good lines and arms;he has the gift of turns and of jumps,so we need a kind of "pas de deux" for two men that can show our gifts.If you have ideas on something similar and easy to find you're welcome again...

I'd stay away from Tchaikovsky pas de deux, if you mean the Balanchine version. The Trust has eyes all over, and a long reach. You could find yourself in legal trouble. Of course, you can use the music and your own choreography - many people have. There are other choices, too. How about the grand pas de deux in Nutcracker? It's written down in Anton Dolin's book on pas de deux. For a change of pace, how about the pas de deux from Coppélia?

I'd stay away from Tchaikovsky pas de deux, if you mean the Balanchine version. The Trust has eyes all over, and a long reach. You could find yourself in legal trouble. Of course, you can use the music and your own choreography - many people have. There are other choices, too. How about the grand pas de deux in Nutcracker? It's written down in Anton Dolin's book on pas de deux. For a change of pace, how about the pas de deux from Coppélia?

But it's just in a school.That's why i wanted to perform Tchaikovsky PDD in this occasion,because it's not a real performance but just a little show inside a school.I think in this case i can dance it but as i know about balanchine protection of the repertoire i'll maybe start from his steps to take inspiration for my own choreography.It would be a good occasion to show my talent as a choreographer,if i have....;-).Nutcracker PDD is one among the most difficult pieces I've ever seen and I don't have even the time to try and dance it.Same for Sleeping beauty PDD.White Swan and Black Swan,thinking of "tchaikovskian" PDDs,require a "physique du role" that my partner doesn't have....she's more appropriate for DonQui....Donqui is banal,Romeo and Juliet requires a hard job of interpretation especially for the girl,same for Dame aux Camelias.Manon is very beautiful but not so easy to put together on my own....it's a hard choice!Coppelia PDD...well....i don't remember.I'll watch it later.Hope in Roland Petit's version is nice.Snow White PDD is nice and not too hard,but the variations....especially because i have Tamara Rojo's version and my partner has not her pirouettes and fouettés;-).If i am in too much trouble i'll invent a PDD on a Chopin's or Mozart's piano concert...it won't be a piece of repertoire but at least it wouldn't be something already seen a thousand times...and for the audience of young ballet students will probably be alright.

What about a PDD for two men?have you seen anything you remember about and not too difficult to find?waiting for your answers....

Dancerboy, another place you might ask for ideas is our sister board, BalletTalk for Dancers. You'll have to register there separately, if you haven't already. That board caters to the interests of dancers at all levels, including teachers, who likely will have more direct experience than the readers of this, the audience board. You'll find a direct link on the right side of the banner atop this page.