This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Siblings in the same company

Calliope

On the British front there is Adam and Simon Cooper. I've only seen Adam but the brothers are very different dancers from what I've read. Comparisons are often invited in articles but I don't think fans compare them too much on stage.

There also were Jan and Wim Broeckx, who are identical twins, but I don't know if they ever danced for the same company (Jan was a principal of Roland Petit's company and Wim was a principal of the Dutch National Ballet, both retired recently).

Guest laracf

I believe that Alina Faye and Ilona McHugh (in the corps at ABT) are also sisters...Trained at Marin Dance Centre in California with Margaret Swarthout...

You're welcome. I would love to see the Borchenkos perform. I've seen many pictures of them on another ballet board and am fascinated by their beautiful line and unity of appearance (genetics at play). They must be really special to have won silver. I know they are extremely tall. An interview I found online reveals their total commitment to ballet, especially Ekaterina's. It reminded me of the singlemindedness and focus of many other dancers raised and trained in the Russian tradition. I hope these siblings get an opportunity to show themselves to North American audiences as guest artists. After their wins in Varna, interest in them must be piqued in ballet circles.

The Bolshoi has or had:

Svetlana and Yulia Lunkina.

Irina Semirechenskaya and Ivan Semirechensky.

Egor and Roman Simachev and their elder half-brother, Alexander Vetrov (no longer with the company).

Dmitri and Vitaly Mikhailov - who are identical twins.

and two favourites from the recent past:

Gediminas and Vitautus Taranda.

You're welcome. I would love to see the Borchenkos perform. I've seen many pictures of them on another ballet board and am fascinated by their beautiful line and unity of appearance (genetics at play). They must be really special to have won silver. I know they are extremely tall. An interview I found online reveals their total commitment to ballet, especially Ekaterina's. It reminded me of the singlemindedness and focus of many other dancers raised and trained in the Russian tradition. I hope these siblings get an opportunity to show themselves to North American audiences as guest artists. After their wins in Varna, interest in them must be piqued in ballet circles.

Hi there! A bit belated but I join your discussion about Borchenko siblings. I adore this duet and I'm lucky to watch them every time they dance, because I live in Minsk. So, I know a lot about them and if you are interested in some information, I can provide. For example, if you wish to attend their performance I can inform you on when and help with tickets and lodging!

Moreover, I've come across their video on YouTube. Search "Minsk Ballet" for a Giselle clip.

Edited by carbro
Mod's note: Direct links are not permitted; replaced it with instructions.

How about Gina Ness and Anton Ness (my younger brother) who danced with SFB from the late 60s through the early to mid 80s? :wink: I loved dancing with my brother, Tony! We danced Snow Pas in Lew's "Nutcracker", Second Theme in Balanchine's "Four Temperaments", and fourth movement principals in Balanchine's "Symphony in C" to name a few roles we performed together during the 70s.