This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

In the Kirov "Bayadere" at Kennedy Center, Jan 2008 thread, naomikage wrote,

I think Japanese audience are very lucky because 2 other DVDs were recently released in Japan. I think these are exclusive for Japan, and they are Variation Lessons by Lopatkina/ Variations Lessons by Vishneva. I think this topic is suitable for the video forum, but in these DVDs, the two great ballerinas show and explain how they dance Nikiya, Paquita, Raymonda (Lopatikina), Giselle, Odette, Kitri, Aurora (Vishneva). Theie reheasals were shot for this DVD, with long interviews and also stage footage.

(Now if I could only get work to send me to Japan on a DVD-buying spree...)

(Now if I could only get work to send me to Japan on a DVD-buying spree...)

You can buy those DVDs by amazon.co.jp. although the website is partly in Japanese.

Vishneva

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language...anguage=en%5FJP

Lopatkina

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language...anguage=en%5FJP

Amazon.co.jp ships abroads although shipping rates are rather expensive.

Although these DVDs have no english subtitles(subtitles are in Japanese and interviews are in Russian), they are wonderful footage. There is one scene that Lopatkina dances Paquita variations to the piano with only her arms, but I was stunned with the beauty of her movement, port de bras and musicality as though she is weaving music with her upper body.

Also Vishneva's Aurora 1st act is so sweet and lively and musical, it was such a joy to watch.

Hine-Hint: Excellent region-free DVD players can be purchased for under $200 a set, postage included. Just Google "region-free DVD player." Mine is Pioneer but there are other makes. There isn't a DVD on this earth that won't play on my Pioneer, hooked-up to a U.S.-purchased TV monitor (doesn't matter one iota that the monitor is NTSC). That, along with internet access to all vendors (amazon.jp, amazon.de, amazon.fr, UK amazon or RoyalOperaHouse shop or DanceBooks, YesAsia.com, etc.) opens-up the entire global DVD marketplace to us...without having to purchase an airline ticket, as in the old days. So now the only limit to having every-ballet-DVD-on-earth is the limit of one's credit card or purse. :bow:

Caution: You won't find "region-free DVD players" in Best Buy, Circuit City or any of the big vendors, as they are in league with 'the industry' and do not want us 'little people' to have access to the global market. So find independent shops that sell these players, via google. They are 100% legitimate, legal stores, selling 100% legitimate region-free players.

I second Natalia's post: a region-free DVD player has allowed me to purchase wonderful DVD's when travelling and online from many countries.

I had been looking for a DVD of the 1990 movie Perfectly Normal forever, and I finally found it on amazon.com, but the only one ordered was a Dutch version, complete with Dutch "supertitles." Wrong region and PAL. For my region-free DVD player, not a problem.