This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

LA Ballet: Gomes Out of Nutcracker Guest Appearances

We just received the following message from Los Angeles Ballet:

“Los Angeles Ballet had previously announced that Marcelo Gomes, principal dancer with American Ballet Theatre, would be performing as a guest artist during the Nutcracker season. Due to an unexpected injury, Mr. Gomes will be unable to join the Company. We will keep you posted on his replacement as soon as it’s determined.”

May Mr. Gomes recover fully and soon.

This is terrible news for me as well as Mr. Gomes, as I was hoping I'd get to see him in it Dec. 23rd at UCLA, when I'm going to see it. I wonder why LA Ballet performs at these different venues; I suppose Nutcracker would have had to move the Philharmonic out of Disney, but the opera is over for the time being at the Music Center, I believe. Oh well, this is a real pain, so I'll have to pretend I'm truly interested in that version of 'The Nutcracker', which I probably can muster, since I bought the ticket before I found out he was planning to guest, and would have not known which performances he was scheduled for.

We just received the following message from Los Angeles Ballet:
"Los Angeles Ballet had previously announced that Marcelo Gomes, principal dancer with American Ballet Theatre, would be performing as a guest artist during the Nutcracker season. Due to an unexpected injury, Mr. Gomes will be unable to join the Company. We will keep you posted on his replacement as soon as it's determined."
What a shame!
May Mr. Gomes recover fully and soon.

Amen!

If Marcelo can't do Nuts in L.A. in December, he can't likely do Fancy Free, Sinatra Suite or C. to C. in Berkeley in November, although the ABT Calendar still lists him for all but two performances. Of course, no casts are listed for the Millepied, which Marcelo also dances.

Unexpected injury? I'm sure it is. Unforseeable? That's something else.