This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I don't know of any commercial DVD with the complete Stars and Stripes, but the Pas de Deux and variations are available on the "Balanchine Celebration -- Part Two" DVD. I think they did the finale, too, but my mind may be playing tricks on me.

Damien Woetzel and Margaret Tracey were El Capitan and Liberty Bell.

i don't believe the video releases of THE BALANCHINE CELEBRATION - PART 1 & 2 were re-released on dvd, but to be sure, STARS AND STRIPES exceprts were inlcuded as follows:

Balanchine Celebration, part two / produced by Thirteen/WNET in association with New York City Ballet, NVC Arts, and NOS Television ; directed by Matthew Diamond ; produced by Judy Kinberg ; choreography by George Balanchine. New York, N.Y. : Thirteen/WNET, c1993. (86 min.) : sd., col. )

Host: Robert MacNeil.

Performed by New York City Ballet with guest artists.

Conductors: Hugo Fiorato, Gordon Boelzner, and Maurice Kaplow.

Executive producer, Jac Venza ; writer, Holly Brubach ; lighting, Mark Stanley.

Western symphony: Fourth movement, Rondo / music, Hershy Kay ; scenery, John Boyt ; costumes, Karinska ; danced by Susan Jaffe (American Ballet Theatre), Nikolaj Hübbe, and ensemble.

Agon: selections / music, Igor Stravinsky ; danced by Peter Boal, Zippora Karz, and Kathleen Tracey (first pas de trois) ; Albert Evans, Arch Higgins, and Wendy Whelan (second pas de trois) ; Darcey Bussell (Royal Ballet) and Lindsay Fischer (pas de deux).

Who cares?: selections / music, George Gershwin ; cast: The man I love: Viviana Durante (Royal Ballet) and Robert La Fosse ; I'll build a stairway to paradise: Lourdes Lopez ; Embraceable you: Heather Watts and Jock Soto ; Fascinatin' rhythm: Judith Fugate ; Who cares?: Melinda Roy and Ronald Perry (Dance Theatre of Harlem) ; My one and only: Elizabeth Loscavio (San Francisco Ballet) ; Liza: Jeremy Collins (American Ballet Theatre) ; I got rhythm Who cares?: I got rhythm / danced by entire cast and ensemble.

Stars and stripes: Fourth and fifth campaigns / music, John Philip Sousa, adapted and orchestrated by Hershy Kay ; danced by Margaret Tracey, Damian Woetzel, and ensemble.

Closing speech and toast by Peter Martins, with Lincoln Kirstein, Jerome Robbins, Mikhail Baryshnikov, and company members

Performance recorded at New York State Theater, New York, on June 27, 1993. Telecast by Thirteen/WNET on the Great Performances: Dance in America series.

Second part of the closing night program of the New York City Ballet's Balanchine Celebration. In addition to performance footage, this telecast includes comments by ballet master in chief Peter Martins, archival footage of Balanchine, and reminiscences by dancers Melinda Roy, Lourdes Lopez, Judith Fugate, Diana White, Maria Calegari, Darci Kistler, Katrina Killian, and Heléne Alexopoulos.