This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yvette Chauviré,une étoile pour l'exemple.

I just got this dvd in french and i think is a quite rare one,as i've never seen it in shops here.I am quite shocked about how charmy is this artist,even though you don't see her dancing,but only teaching.She's a perfect teacher.She shows to some ballerinas as Guillem,Loudières etc. how to perform some variations.Her attention to the most unperceptible details is surprising.She also explains where to look,what to think when they do EVERY single step or pose.She also explains what message should come through in every moment of the variation.I've never got the chance to work with such an incredible teacher.And then?Her eyes!In some scenes she's just sat down on her chair,listening to the music and imagining how she would perform that.Her biggest movement is with the hands.She's almost still...but....her eyes speak so well that anyone would understand how to interpret the role or the intention of the ballet.I'm really surprised.You can see the dancers improving under her advices and becoming just.....perfect!It's unbeliavable!have you seen this tape?

I wish i could meet such an artist and being taught something.....:-)

She is a wonderful teacher and must have been an amazingly expressive dancer (esp in Giselle).

More teaching by Chauvire can be found the Monique Loudieres video "Comme les oiseaux" from the same series (where she, Jerome Robbins, Violette Verdy and Vladimir Vasiliev work with Loudieres) The whole series of Etoile pour l'exemple videos is a small gem and I hope they'll put out more of them. Another wonderful video from this series is "Violette Verdy et Mr B" - not only is Verdy a wonderful, full of life personality but she has a unique way of conjuring images and metaphors to help the dancers better feel and express what they dance.

She is a wonderful teacher and must have been an amazingly expressive dancer (esp in Giselle).

I only saw her 'Giselle' once, and that was a guest appearance with the Ballet Russe at the Met on April 28, 1950. The program is one of a very few I have from that time and I kept it to renew my memories of her performance. Frederic Franklin was her Albrecht.