This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Guild to reinstate trip to Saratoga

Faith Petrides, the new director of the NYCB Guild, has announced the return of one of the most popular Guild actities, the annual weekend bus trip to Saratoga Springs during the company's summer residency there. I got the notice because of my past pariicipation in the trip. I'm sure more details will follow next year.

What great news, Farrell Fan! Just stumbled upon this thread even though it had already been hidden by another topic.

How I miss being able to just click on the NYCB thread to find information like this; there is so much more to NYCB than just performance reviews... I wonder what else I have missed about my favorite company, just because I didn't happen upon the Forums page at the right moment, before the news had been covered up by another topic.

Such things as the chance to see Mr. B's ballet to music from Tschaikovsky's 6th Symphony would have been so much easier to know about under the old system. I refer to "a look at George Balanchine's famous Adagio Lamentoso on Friday, October 12 at 8 pm" at the Philharmonic's performance of the Pathétique, as mentioned on NYCB's site and in an e from the Phil (happens to be on my subscription). The Phil is even offering 20% off to ballet fans! I have no idea whether this has been posted on BT....

Thanks, drb. I agree -- things were much simpler when we could post NYCB news under NYCB. I srill don't understand why this is no longer possible. I hope it doesn't take the powers that be as long to rectify this as it's taken NYCB to realize they made a mistake in cutting out the Saratoga trip.

I just spoke to Dana at NYCB Guild.

The bus will leave Friday morning July 11 and return Sunday afternoon July 13.

The $550.00 per person includes two night at the Saratoga Hilton and orchestra seats for both Friday and Saturday evening.

There will be a meal and some hors d'ouvres on the lawn pre-performance.

A mailing will be coming out soon.

My wife and I are in since we hate and fear driving.

We love buses and trains and jets--and jetes.

JIM

Thanks Jim, glad to hear plans are proceeding. After the NYCB Guild stopped going on the weekend trip, I continued to go for a week to Saratoga every summer on my own, but it had gotten too hard for me to do -- especially waiting for a taxi after the performances. So I'm looking forward to getting back on the bus with all the nice NYCB fans.

I just spoke to Dana at NYCB Guild.

The bus will leave Friday morning July 11 and return Sunday afternoon July 13.

The $550.00 per person includes two night at the Saratoga Hilton and orchestra seats for both Friday and Saturday evening.

There will be a meal and some hors d'ouvres on the lawn pre-performance.

JIM

Just received the mailing from Dana Cavooris of the Guild. Coach bus transportation to/from/within Saratoga Springs including access and transportation to all scheduled activities. There are some options and variations to the above. A single occupancy room changes the cost to $700 per person. There is also an events-only package (no hotel or transportation; just, as for the other packages, the orchestra seats for Friday and Saturday nights, access to all scheduled activities, and selected meals) for $300 per person.

Further info: 212-870-4077

Thanks, drb. The mailing follows through on the now familiar black & white NYCB 1950s look. What it doesn't do is tell us what the ballets are during the weekend. Can you believe it?

Here are the programs:

MIXED REP.

Friday, July 11, evening:

Prodigal Son

Afternoon of a Faun

River of Light

Glass Pieces

at 8 pm

Saturday, July 12, matinee:

ALL BALANCHINE

Mozartiana

Prodigal Son

Symphony in C

at 2 pm

Saturday, July 12, evening:

FOUNDING CHOREOGRAPHERS

Le Tombeau de Couperin

Four Bagatelles

La Sonnambula

I'm Old Fashioned

at 8 pm

So, by offering just the evenings, you are saved from the stodgy all-Balanchine program. I wonder why they did not offer Friday night, Saturday matinee as an alternative? It would have meant just one night's hotel cost...

All the summer programming is available on the company website calendar.

Oh, Farrell Fan, I wouldn't call it " the now familiar black & white NYCB 1950s look." I think of the new Logo and colors as representing the hip, or hep, new modern avante-garde shades-of-grey look of the Ballet-Master-in-Chief's choreography, so admired as of late in London.