This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Who are the dancers on the cover of Gail Grant's book?

bart

this is not the edition i have; mine is older.

i assume you don't have it yourself b/c i'd guess they'd have the cover foto identified.

my guess: markova and dolin?

perhaps some version the bluebird? and florine?

only guessing here i've seen this cover over the years on various book shelves and never made a point of noting the dancers' ident.

someone on BT is bound to know or certain.

i'd guess they'd have the cover foto identified.
I have the Dover third edition, the same being offered for sale by Amazon. The only identification I can find is "Cover design by Paul E. Kennedy."
my guess: markova and dolin?
I wondered about Markova. But the look is softer (younger?) than most photos I've seen. It's certainly softer than the Firebird photo (c. 1945) that's on another thread. Would Bluebird/Florine have been something they did when they first joined together to form a company in the 30s? In that case she could still have been in her twenties.
someone on BT is bound to know or certain.
That's for sure! :clapping:

Thanks, rg, for starting us off.

re: Cecchetti Method - again my copies are much earlier editions, and hardcover, but this cover design would appear to be a 'flopped' version of a somewhat well known photo of the nijinska/balanchine ROMEO AND JULIET for diaghilev's ballets russes. i think there's a similar photo of lifar w/ karsavina (the first cast) but this one is posted, flopped, at the following link:

http://www.geocities.com/annesteenhoven/lifar1.jpg

I think that is exactly the same photo. It is quite a strange pose, and as Lifar's leg is not behind him at all I was surprised it was chosen for the cover of a textbook about ballet technique. I can only assume that his leg is where it's supposed to be according to the choreographer, or that he was moving to a different pose as the photo was taken.

duh: i failed to note that the dancer was alice nikitina - balanchine's alternate terpsichore in the first run of APOLLON.

he's on record saying that nikitina - not to be confused w/ varvara nikitina - the first princess florine - was: awwwwful.