This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

This film was made a couple of years ago but is only now making the rounds in some localities. It stars Timothy Spall as Albert Pierrepoint, the last Chief Hangman of England (not quite The Last Hangman as the movie’s subtitle states) and Juliet Stevenson, one of my favorite actors, as his wife. It was made in collaboration with Masterpiece Theatre and does have a certain constrained, careful, Everything in Good Taste feel to it. Pierrepoint came of a family of executioners and hanged over 600 people over a period of about 25 years, including Lord Haw-Haw, Ruth Ellis, and assorted Nazis (the latter at the behest of Montgomery, no less – he wanted to show the world how much more efficient and humane Britain is at killing people in contrast to Germany). It’s quite a story, and Spall is very good, even with the shadow of Charles Laughton hanging over him.

I've loved Spall since I first saw him, in the marvellous British sitcom "Outer Edge," which made the rounds on a few public tv stations here about 10 years ago. After that I sought him out, finding him him remarkable in comedy, tragi-comedy, quiet desperation, you name it, especially Mike Leigh films like "Secrets and Lies," which also starred his "Outer Edge" co-actor, Brenda Blethyn.

Dirac, I also admire Juliet Stevenson, a wonderfully understated actress. I'll definitely seek this out. Thanks.