This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2008 Met season

I too could hardly believe my eyes when I read David's Winger post. I'm breathless with anticipation. Do I dare go ahead and buy Series 62 hoping the Giselle tbd cast is the one we're hoping for?

The Saturday matinee series always sells out very fast. You can always exchange if the casting is moved around.

It's so wonderful and smart of Hallberg to seek out Graffin for help. And what about Nagy? And what if Abrera could spend a day or an hour or a cup of coffee with Fracci and Makarova and Tcherkassky and Kirkland and all of the beautiful living Giselles who could enrich her interpretation?

IMO, the last full-length Graffin perf. as Albrecht, was one of his great, if not the greatest, peformances of his career. I told him, down in the Met's employees' cafe, soon after his perf., that his Albrecht touched me in a way that Nureyev or Dowell touched me! He was truly touched and amazed by my comparisons. He was a total cad in Act 1. Then he was a haunted and tragic soul in the second act. Unfortunately, I never got to see him dance in Giselle again, due to a severe

knee injury that ended his career as a lead part performer. (1998????)

David Hallberg will be a triumph. I could not think of anyone more perfect to coach him! Simply because Mr. Graffin will coach him by using Hallberg innate sensitivity and acting skills. Not to mold him into a Graffin mold. But the best that David himself can do.

Now that I think about it, was Graffin coached by Rudi for Albrecht, during his days with the POB????

... And what if Abrera could spend a day or an hour or a cup of coffee with Fracci and Makarova and Tcherkassky and Kirkland and all of the beautiful living Giselles who could enrich her interpretation?

I suspect more than a cup, what with Makarova and Kirkland having been coaching ABT as of late. By the way, Ms. Kirkland will be very present this December, teaching class daily all month at Steps. And don't forget Amanda McKerrow, who "carries" Makarova's Giselle, coached at ABT this Fall, and that Stella has often been Myrtha to Amanda's Giselle. This has the potential to be a magnificently prepared double debut. Kudos to Mr. McKenzie for his frequent use of former ABT stars to coach their greatest roles. If only this were as true elsewhere...

The ABT website calendar has been updated:

Hallberg and Abrera are listed for Giselle on Wednesday, July 9th MATINEE.

Sara Lane and Cornejo are listed for Sleeping Beauty on Thursday, June 19th.

Xiomara Reyes is now listed with Carreno for Sleeping Beauty on Wednesday, June 18th Evening.

Dvorovenko and TBA are listed for the remaining La Bayadere on Thursday, June 26th.

Still open is that Wednesday matinee of the Merry Widow. If I had to guess, I would bet on either Abrera and Hallberg or Abrera and Radetsky.

This is all so nice! :clapping:

YIKES! Edited to include MISTY COPELAND debuts as Gamzatti on Saturday May 24th MATINEE! All the casts are strong, but the May 21st Evening is incredible with Herrera, Gomes, Abrera, Carreno, Corella and Cornejo!

Edited again: In my excitement, I misspoke. MISTY COPELAND will debut as Gulnare in Le Corsaire, NOT Gamzatti (although, she would be pretty darned terrific in that as well.)

Edited again: In my excitement, I misspoke. MISTY COPELAND will debut as Gulnare in Le Corsaire, NOT Gamzatti (although, she would be pretty darned terrific in that as well.)

Thank you - agreed M. Copeland would be a terrific Gamzatti. This is so exciting but I'll wait to get tickets just in case. I am so glad that Abrera is getting the opportunities she deserves and I have been a Lane fan since her Theme performance.

It will be interesting to see what the Twyla piece brings.

For the first time I'm getting excited about the season.

"YIKES! Edited to include MISTY COPELAND debuts as Gamzatti on Saturday May 24th MATINEE! All the casts are strong, but the May 21st Evening is incredible with Herrera, Gomes, Abrera, Carreno, Corella and Cornejo!"

When you read the ABT website and see the schedule for Corsaire, are the dancers listed in any certain order of the roles they dance?

From the above list, could you guess that Herrera is Gulnare-Gomes is Conrad-Carreno is the slave?

Is there a rhyme or reason to the way the performers are listed on the website?

Thanks

Comparing Haglund's site updates with the most recent ABT (Why have they sent four???) brochure and other site changes:

Hallberg and Abrera are listed for Giselle on Wednesday, July 9th MATINEE.

replacing Dvorovenko and Beloserkovsky, who are switched to Saturday matinee, July 12

Sara Lane and Cornejo are listed for Sleeping Beauty on Thursday, June 19th.

replacing Murphy and Stiefel, who are switched to Wednesday, matinee, June 18th.

Xiomara Reyes is now listed with Carreno for Sleeping Beauty on Wednesday, June 18th Evening.

Carreno replacing Cornejo. On the other hand, Carreno is replaced by Beloserkovsky in the two Dvorovenko Corsaires.

The Corsaire listing is tricky; Birbanto, the traitor "friend" of Conrad, is probably somewhere on the list too.

Also, for the past few days Diana Vishneva has added the New Tharp to her website for June 3.

Medora

Conrad

Gulnare

Lankendem

Ali

Pasha (?)

I believe that's correct except for the last name which would normally be Birbanto. It's kind of a surprise to see Stiefel listed for Ali in two performances whereas Cornejo is not. Maybe Herman is the backup plan in the event that Stiefel (or any of the others) isn't in top form when the season starts.

Given the debuts already listed, I hope I don't sound greedy by wishing for a Myrta debut by Kristi Boone.

Speaking of renewing.... would you choose more performances with worse seats (higher up) or fewer performances with better seats? This assumes you have a fixed tix budget. I have selected one subscription and 2 single performances in the GT. What say you?

Speaking of renewing.... would you choose more performances with worse seats (higher up) or fewer performances with better seats? This assumes you have a fixed tix budget. I have selected one subscription and 2 single performances in the GT. What say you?

I stopped subscribing and went with the single ticket model totally. It works for me. That way I see more of the casting before I decide and can figure out prices as I go. I've never been unable to get a ticket for a desired performance and casting is very important to me.

I stopped subscribing and went with the single ticket model totally. It works for me. That way I see more of the casting before I decide and can figure out prices as I go. I've never been unable to get a ticket for a desired performance and casting is very important to me.

we do the subscription, but switch out a lot of the tickets based on casting--that way we can get the tickets before they go on general sale.

I end up picking up some additional tickets as well usually.

ABT's website has been updated to include new corps members Gemma Bond (Royal Ballet), Mikhail Ilyin (Miami City Ballet), Amanda McGuigan (Ballet du Rhin), Elina Miettinen (Finnish National Ballet), and Lauren Post (apprentice).

I'm starting a campaign, powered by Hope, to get some principal promotions in March in time for the Met season. Let us come together, People, to inspire the leadership of ABT to do what is right, to do what we need, to give us the Changes we want. (applause, more applause, and still more applause).

That's what I'm talkin' about!!! Yes, Barbara! And I add to your appeal promotions for Veronika Part, Sascha Radetsky, and Hee Seo. Come on People, we can do it. And while we're trying, we should take a moment to look at the article that came out in today's New York Magazine which previews the new Tharp piece for the spring Met season. The Elfman music was described as THUMPING and WILDLY PERCUSSIVE! I am so ready to see these people dancing again. So ready.